Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

con

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2012
Hi, is there a way to skip video compression when attaching a video to an email or online form? e.g. when it says "Compressing Video" when uploading from Photos. I sometimes need to send the full-quality version and it would be ideal if I didn't have to switch to desktop for that. Sometimes the videos I send are only a few seconds long which seems something the iPhone should be capable of handling as an uncompressed upload so I don't understand the restriction.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
It's a workaround, but go to your Photos and select the video you want to send. Click the share icon and select Mail.
It will then upload the uncompressed version, at least from what I can tell.

When I attach a video from the Mail app, a 30 sec. clip ends up 3,5 MB. When I share it through the Photos app, the same clip is like 100 MB. I assume it doesn't compress it.

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
use a cloud service, like onedrive, google drive, dropbox, ect. and send the person a shared link. its a shure fire way to keep the original file.

Reactions: tranceking26

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
The size of an attachment is also restricted by the rules on the email service provider. The service provider might not even send the email if it’s above a certain size.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The original uncompressed videos are gigantic in file size. They have to be compressed even if 10 sec long.
If you resize and compress the clip using a video compression app to 720p @ 2500kbs, it'll look good enough everywhere and the file size will usually drop to almost 10% of the original.
You'll get better looking results doing it that way than letting iOS shrink it down automatically.
When you attach the compressed clip to email or Messages, it'll say its compressing it -again- but it doesn't.

con

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2012
It's a workaround, but go to your Photos and select the video you want to send. Click the share icon and select Mail.
It will then upload the uncompressed version, at least from what I can tell.

When I attach a video from the Mail app, a 30 sec. clip ends up 3,5 MB. When I share it through the Photos app, the same clip is like 100 MB. I assume it doesn't compress it.
What about online forms, as at actorsaccess.com or any other site a video can be uploaded?

The size of an attachment is also restricted by the rules on the email service provider. The service provider might not even send the email if it’s above a certain size.
Ditto.

use a cloud service, like onedrive, google drive, dropbox, ect. and send the person a shared link. its a shure fire way to keep the original file.
Sometimes sending via online forms is required instead of sharing links. The recipient can be sent a link anyway (e.g. via WeTransfer if the video is too large) if the sender has their contact details or a chance to add a note but there is no guarantee or obligation for the recipient to see it if they asked for it to be submitted via an online form.

The original uncompressed videos are gigantic in file size. They have to be compressed even if 10 sec long.
If you resize and compress the clip using a video compression app to 720p @ 2500kbs, it'll look good enough everywhere and the file size will usually drop to almost 10% of the original.
You'll get better looking results doing it that way than letting iOS shrink it down automatically.
When you attach the compressed clip to email or Messages, it'll say its compressing it -again- but it doesn't.
Often 1080p is explicitly required by the video requester. The files are usually less than a minute long and therefore not usually huge at less than 100MB per video. If they are automatically compressed when using a form on a Mac it at least doesn't say it's being compressed to anything under 1080p so the sender can't be faulted for that.

The above responses used acting audition videos as an example but there are numerous other scenarios where full-resolution videos would be required but prevented from sending normally (due to automatic iOS compression when uploading) without workarounds that may not adhere to the requirements or be possible in the context.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.