Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aslater18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2002
Anaheim, CA
So I've got my iPad and iPhone provisioned to access my employer's Exchange email system. One of the things we use in Outlook quite frequently is sending emails from a group email account. However if I try to add this group email account to my iOS device, using my username/password and the group email address, iOS tells me I can't have duplicate email accounts. Is there a way to add this so I can send from the group email; or am I forced to fire up my laptop everytime I need to send from the group email address?

Solublepeter

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2011
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
When you say "sending FROM a group email account" it sounds like you are confusing a few things. I think you are more likely to be wanting to send TO the email group?

You already have your iPhone connected to a user account on the Exchange server, and within that account you have a number of email groups defined (which you see in Outlook).

You will need to get those groups from Exchange to the iPhone address book, then you will be able to send email to the group using "MailShot Pro" (which imports address book groups to create special group contacts you can use from many different apps, including Mail) or another third party app (which typically send email from their own app)

It is quite tricky to get iTunes to synch groups from Exchange into your address book, and hard to find information on it, but it can be done. We have posted what information we have on it on our website at http://solubleapps.com/mailshot-support/#GROUPS as a public service.

As we don't use Outlook currently ourselves, we can't offer support on this aspect (though we are well-known for our level of technical support within MailShot itself, so please do get in touch if you have any problem once you have the groups on your device.)

If you cannot synchronise those groups across its not the end of the world, as it is quite quick to rebuild the groups again using a checklist, which the better group email apps should include.

I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

aslater18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2002
Anaheim, CA
When you say "sending FROM a group email account" it sounds like you are confusing a few things. I think you are more likely to be wanting to send TO the email group?

No, Let me expand on this some. I work as part of an Information Assurance team. As such, there's two email accounts I need to use; my personal work account (aaron.slater@...) and the group email that our department sends IA-related email from (it.security@...). In Outlook, to use the group email, I use my own login credentials (aaron.slater@...), since I am one of a few people authorized to send from that account. This is the ability that I am trying to do in iOS Mail, but get the aforementioned error when adding the account.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
OP is referring to a shared mailbox. Not uncommon in the corporate world. Based on a quick search I don't see a good way to handle this on IOS.

Solublepeter

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2011
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Ah, thanks for the clarification Aaron. No, I am afraid I don't know of a way to do that.

You could ask your IT dept. if they can set up a new set of user credentials that only accesses the group email box, and set up your mobile device to connect to that account. iOS would then see it as two separate Exchange accounts, and you could choose which to use at the point of sending?

Obviously this may not work at all (its a few years since i used Outlook in a corporate environment) but its the only suggestion I can think of, I hope it helps.

Peter

----------

I did find this http://www.thehypervisor.com/2012/02/best-workaround-for-exchange-send-as-and-iphone/ which explains a workaround to set up "send as"
on your iPhone.

This way you could at least send mail as "it.security@" from your iPhone when needed, I don't think it would solve reading that email though.

Peter

Ripmax2000

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2005
Did you ever find an answer to this?

Would be very useful to send from the group. I can't seem to find an app that specifically gets around this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.