Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lsatterfield

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
Hey folks,

The ringtone making process for iOS11 and iPhone is frustrating, but I was able to create one in Garageband. It works on my iPhone, but I also want to be able to send it to other people to use on their Apple and Android phones. How can I do this easily? There is no option to send a ringtone that is made in Garageband.

The best process I can think of for iPhone is to ask everyone to download Garageband. Then I can email the Garageband (.band) project file and give them instructions on how to open it within Garageband and export their own ringtone from the app. Is there any other or better way?

For Android, I think I'm figuring it out. There's an "Add from Phone" feature in the Ringtone settings, but that may only be for music in an app--not a downloads folder. But I also saw something online about a Files app that can navigate folders. Move the song from Downloads to Ringtones (or maybe Songs first) then select it in the Settings > Ringtones section.

Anyone have any tips? Thank you for the help!
[doublepost=1512173484][/doublepost]Well, I was able to send the .band file, but when I open it again in Garageband, the file won't open. It becomes corrupted or something... *eye roll*

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
Can you not convert to MV4, then text it via drag and drop? Or make it MP4 and have them change it to MV4?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Can you not convert to MV4, then text it via drag and drop? Or make it MP4 and have them change it to MV4?

It's been a while since made a ringtone, but, I seem to recall, and have done, that all you need to do is change the file extension. For Apple, change mp4 to m4r.

Garageband on Mac does have a share via email option. Also has a couple of other export/save as options. One is to send to iTunes, at which point you can select it and do a "Show in Finder" for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.