Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nokkynuk

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2017
Space City
I need some assistance to see if anyone with sensitive skin was able to find a Sport Band (Apple Manufactured or Third Party) to replace the one that comes with Apple Watch Sport Models?

Before I continue, I used the search function, but only found posts from 2015/2016 regarding nickel allergies and the Sport Band metal part. The other post mentions soaps under the watch causing irritation. I was hoping since then someone would have more advice than prior posts. Rather than resurrecting a dead thread, I decided to open a new thread.

So, my body decided it hates all clothing/accessories I wear and congratulates me with eczema-like rashes. Rather than running around bare, I had to adapt by using free & clear products for everything.

When i originally got my first Apple Watch, i immediately stated using the Milanese Loop, and Leather Bands. This continued with my current model.

I decided last week to start wearing the Sport Band. Since it hasn't been used prior, I washed it with a gentle soap (baby wash) and thoroughly dried it using a microfiber cloth. Almost 5 hours later, I had a light red rash from the outline of the band, with a deeper red moving inward. I don't have a nickel or any kind of metal allergy i'm aware of and it doesn't look like that's the source. I think the "Custom Fluoroelastomer Material" just doesn't agree with me, which i'm completely fine with.

I'm sure others have had the same issue, but has anyone found a third-party "Sport Like Band" similar to Apple's that is kind to sensitive skin? I love how soft the Sport Bands are, and I wish I could find a similar band that didn't cause rashes.

Does anyone have recommendations? I'm getting tired of ordering bands and returning them days later on Amazon.

Thank you for your help!

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
I am not an expert about anything I'm about to write. So take this in proper context.

"Custom Fluoroelastomer Material" sounds like a fancy way to say rubber. Now not all rubber is created equal, but I think that some rubber can contain latex. Is it possible that you have a latex allergy?

Have you considered trying the sport loop instead of the sport band?

I know that Apple's prices are outrageous for its watch bands. But given your situation, it might be better for you to buy direct from Apple instead of dealing with Amazon. I think it if you tried out a watch band and it gave you problems, Apple would be much more willing to take it back no questions asked.

At the end of the day you may just have to stick with natural materials (metal and leather) and skip the synthetics.

Reactions: nokkynuk

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
I think that some rubber can contain latex.
Latex, ie natural rubber, is very sensitive to UV light especially (and probably also to household chemicals, ozone and anything else that is reactive and/or corrosive in some manner), and tends to become brittle and crack over time. Also, as you mention, it's allergenic, so I don't think it would be an ingredient in a fluoroelastomer. To me, that sounds like a wholly synthetic material. (Also something which might produce some pretty nasty stuff if burned/incinerated - for nightmares look up hydrofluoric acid and what it does to a person... lol)

Also, I echo your suggestion about the sport loop. It's much more comfortable overall than Apple's extremely sweat-inducing rubber bands. It's much lighter too which might also aid in comfort when being worn.

nokkynuk

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2017
Space City
Have you considered trying the sport loop instead of the sport band?

At the end of the day you may just have to stick with natural materials (metal and leather) and skip the synthetics.

Also, I echo your suggestion about the sport loop. It's much more comfortable overall than Apple's extremely sweat-inducing rubber bands. It's much lighter too which might also aid in comfort when being worn.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll pick up a Sport Loop!

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Latex, ie natural rubber, is very sensitive to UV light especially (and probably also to household chemicals, ozone and anything else that is reactive and/or corrosive in some manner), and tends to become brittle and crack over time. Also, as you mention, it's allergenic, so I don't think it would be an ingredient in a fluoroelastomer. To me, that sounds like a wholly synthetic material. (Also something which might produce some pretty nasty stuff if burned/incinerated - for nightmares look up hydrofluoric acid and what it does to a person... lol)

So again, I'm not an expert in any of this, but do you think it possible that nokkynuk might just be experiencing a heat rash underneath the sport band?

nokkynuk

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2017
Space City
So again, I'm not an expert in any of this, but do you think it possible that nokkynuk might just be experiencing a heat rash underneath the sport band?

It could be a heat rash, but i have a band with a tougher plastic like material and haven't had any issues with it. My issue seems isolated to the sport bands.

i-Blazon 42mm Band

IMG_1375.jpg

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
but do you think it possible that nokkynuk might just be experiencing a heat rash underneath the sport band?
I'm not a skin/rubber expert... Just had some - err - contact with latex in my days, that's all... :D (No, I'm not allergic to it, heh.) I really couldn't say what might be causing someone's issues, other than the very obvious "if it seems to cause a rash, stop wearing it for bog's sake!" :)

BaggieBoy

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2012
UK
I used to get skin issues years ago when I wore watches with plastic straps. So I switched to stainless steel bands. When I got my first Apple watch (original), I got the stainless steel band version and had no issues. However last year I bought a Series 2 aluminium with a sports band and assumed I would have to switch to a metal band but so far I have had no issues at all.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Other than sports loop, woven nylon could also be a nice alternative. I used to wear sports loop when I bought my Apple Watch series 3, but the loop tend to go tighter the longer I wear the watch, so I bought a blue woven nylon band and could not be happier about this.
BTW, I am also allergic to some synthesized materials, such as apple watch composite back.

Nell

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
London
I can wear the sport bands usually but my navy one, once worn almost daily, now gives me a rash and others often feel like they might go the sa,e way.

The sport loops seem fine though so that would be my suggestion too.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It's much more comfortable overall than Apple's extremely sweat-inducing rubber bands. It's much lighter too which might also aid in comfort when being worn.

I know I’m being overly pedantic here, but Apples sport bands are _Not_ rubber. Its actually manufactured as ‘Flueroastamer’.

Slight background:

Fluoroelastomer comes from the two words "fluorinated" and "elastomer". Fluoroelastomers are famous for their durability resistance to heat, oils, solvents and fuels. It is not a material that will stretch out easily, get damaged by extreme heats, or get deformed by being excessively sweat on. Flueroastamer is literally indestructible. Flueroastamer can also be less prone to causing skin reactions over rubber for some.

Where as rubber, doesn't have the same compound and durability as Flueroastamer does. Totally two different materials, even if they look Or feel the same.

Last edited:

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
I need some assistance to see if anyone with sensitive skin was able to find a Sport Band (Apple Manufactured or Third Party) to replace the one that comes with Apple Watch Sport Models?

Before I continue, I used the search function, but only found posts from 2015/2016 regarding nickel allergies and the Sport Band metal part. The other post mentions soaps under the watch causing irritation. I was hoping since then someone would have more advice than prior posts. Rather than resurrecting a dead thread, I decided to open a new thread.

So, my body decided it hates all clothing/accessories I wear and congratulates me with eczema-like rashes. Rather than running around bare, I had to adapt by using free & clear products for everything.

When i originally got my first Apple Watch, i immediately stated using the Milanese Loop, and Leather Bands. This continued with my current model.

I decided last week to start wearing the Sport Band. Since it hasn't been used prior, I washed it with a gentle soap (baby wash) and thoroughly dried it using a microfiber cloth. Almost 5 hours later, I had a light red rash from the outline of the band, with a deeper red moving inward. I don't have a nickel or any kind of metal allergy i'm aware of and it doesn't look like that's the source. I think the "Custom Fluoroelastomer Material" just doesn't agree with me, which i'm completely fine with.

I'm sure others have had the same issue, but has anyone found a third-party "Sport Like Band" similar to Apple's that is kind to sensitive skin? I love how soft the Sport Bands are, and I wish I could find a similar band that didn't cause rashes.

Does anyone have recommendations? I'm getting tired of ordering bands and returning them days later on Amazon.

Thank you for your help!
After wearing a sport band with my Apple Watch Series 0, I ordered my new Series 3 with the sport loop band.

I'm a "princess and the pea" type when it comes to skin sensitivity but I've had no issues with the sport loop band. It IS textured but the texture is soft and isn't irritating. It is also lighter, more breathable, and more adjustable than the sport band. Give it a try!

fullsizeoutput_611.jpeg

bauediemauer

Suspended
Jul 8, 2018
My wife has sensitive skin and doesn't have a problem with the sport band unless she doesn't rinse it off every few days. She also got the nike band and that seems to last longer presumably due to the holes allowing it to breathe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.