Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
So on the cnn home page right now, is an add for a razor, but its actually three separate .swf files. In the pic - 1, 2 and 3. If you click swing in 1, the guy hits the golf ball, it flies through 2 and lands in 3.

So does anyone know how they're sending the info to the different .swf files to have it trigger the correct scene in the right order?

Thanks,

D

Attachments

• Picture 49.jpg
    Picture 49.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 180

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
It's also possible for one SWF file to use a GoToandPlay command to tell another SWF file what to do... the way my Flash site works, there's a substrate Flash file (Main.swf) which loads into level 0, and which remains in place the entire time. All other SWF files load on top of level 0, in specific predetermined levels. So, an SWF file in one level (say, level 4) can send a message (GoToandPlay) to an SWF file in a different level (say, level 5) and make that SWF file do something... in this case, "continue" the animation of the golf ball by playing a particular sub-movie or sequence of frames.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I think that local connection is what they used - cool stuff. Is that in MX 2004 or the newest version?

clayj - that works in the single flash object on your page - layers in the same main file. What local connection is doing is having two or more separate flash objects on a page among regular html text and images and communicating between them.

D

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Mr. Anderson said:
I think that local connection is what they used - cool stuff. Is that in MX 2004 or the newest version?

clayj - that works in the single flash object on your page - layers in the same main file. What local connection is doing is having two or more separate flash objects on a page among regular html text and images and communicating between them.

D
Actually, I'm not talking about layers in the same SWF file... I'm talking about many different SWF files (my site has over 600 of them) all sending messages at each other telling each other what to do.

Now, as far as that particular page goes, assuming that they're not loading all of the SWF files on top of a common "layer 0" SWF file like I am, then yes, the local connection thing would be the way to go.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Mr. Anderson said:
It's been there a while, probably the first MX (6) release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.