Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monty77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
UK, South Coast
I've been pondering the purchase of an Apple TV for a while but one thing that bothers me is having to have 2 versions of each file in my library .. one for iPod/iPhone and one for the AppleTV.

...I could just rip them all at AppleTV quality but then it'd be a massive waste of space to use the same files on the iPod/iPhone.

How do others get around this?

At the moment I'm using my DVD player with unconverted XVid/DivX files which is clunky and I'd like to move away from it.

Cheers,
Adam

eddyg

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2003
Christchurch, New Zealand
How often do you transfer movies to the iPod? Wouldn't it be nice if you encoded for atv and then simply recoded the atv file for iPod on demand at sync time.

Yes it isn't quick - but it saves space.

No product as yet, but it is possible, and does work using freeware only.

Cheers Ed.

monty77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
UK, South Coast
Read the Handbrake tests, the first thread, the sticky one. Yeah. That one.

I already know which formats both devices can play, and I also know that that I'd want best quality (largest file size) for ATV and whatever will give me the smallest file size for the iPhone/iPod - you can't have it both ways is the conclusion I've drawn but thanks for pointing out the thread :)

Adam

How often do you transfer movies to the iPod? Wouldn't it be nice if you encoded for atv and then simply recoded the atv file for iPod on demand at sync time.

Yes it isn't quick - but it saves space.

No product as yet, but it is possible, and does work using freeware only.

Cheers Ed.

Very often unfortunately, it's my travel companion so I rotate media a lot. Agreed that your proposed solution would be nice for a lot of other users however.

2 media libraries it is I guess .. can I at least split my iTunes Movie/TV Show library into 2 so ATV wouldn't have to scroll through 2 versions of each file??

Thanks,
Adam

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I've been pondering the purchase of an Apple TV for a while but one thing that bothers me is having to have 2 versions of each file in my library .. one for iPod/iPhone and one for the AppleTV.

...I could just rip them all at AppleTV quality but then it'd be a massive waste of space to use the same files on the iPod/iPhone.

How do others get around this?

At the moment I'm using my DVD player with unconverted XVid/DivX files which is clunky and I'd like to move away from it.

Cheers,
Adam

The new Anamorphic Settings on Handbrake 0.9.2 work with the iPhone, and the quality at even 1500-2000 is on par with dvd's. Just make sure you start with the iPhone preset, then up the res and add anamorphic. It is the best current way to have just one file that plays on everything. 5.1 works with it as well.

Is it as good as the Apple TV setting, no, because of the B frames and all, but it is damn close.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Well I was doing alot of my encodes using the Touch Preset in HB and tweaking up to get near ATV specs, but I've gone away from this as the ATV preset offers the best image on my ATV with a higher Bitrate. So I unfortunately do maintain two libraries, my ATV's goes thru my mac mini, my library with all the files for my portable devices is on my pc and a seperate set of Hard Drives, that way I don't have to worry about scrolling thru two versions.

monty77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
UK, South Coast
Thanks everyone .. useful info here!

...on quick question. If I encode into Apple TV with 5.1 sound, will I have to have an amp connected to get any sound at all?

Thanks!
Adam

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Thanks everyone .. useful info here!

...on quick question. If I encode into Apple TV with 5.1 sound, will I have to have an amp connected to get any sound at all?

Thanks!
Adam

No, the movie will have two audio files, 1st a Dolby Pro-Logic II stereo track, and a 2nd 5.1 AC-3 Pass Through. The Apple TV can be set to output either one. Your computer will automatically read the 1st stereo track (as will iPods if you chose the iPod settings).

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada

[...] How do others get around this? [...]

The method I'm using is to have two files: one for the :apple:TV, one for my iPod touch. I use the best settings for the :apple:TV and H.264 iPod at 512kbps, 480xY* pixels with stereo 44.1 kHz at 80 kbps audio.

I do end up with two files, but the one for my iPod touch is around 300-500 MiB while the one for my :apple:TV is usually around 1.2-2.0 GiB. That means I can fit a whole lot more movies on my iPod touch, not to mention that at these specifications the iPod touch files don't take too long to encode (granted, this is on a Core 2 Duo Mac mini, if you have a G3/G4/G5 your mileage may vary).

* whatever height is required to keep the aspect ratio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.