Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kelvin.lau

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2019
I proposed at my workplace to provide me a work SSD for me to use with my personal Mac Pro. Is this technically feasible? I'm thinking of buying the 2023 Mac Pro for this. Two Qs:

1. Does the Mac Pro have multiple SSD slots for me to have both a personal and work SSD slotted inside?

2. Will the Mac Pro know there's two SSDs that it can boot from and allow me to select on power up?

Thanks!

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
I proposed at my workplace to provide me a work SSD for me to use with my personal Mac Pro. Is this technically feasible? I'm thinking of buying the 2023 Mac Pro for this. Two Qs:

1. Does the Mac Pro have multiple SSD slots for me to have both a personal and work SSD slotted inside?

2. Will the Mac Pro know there's two SSDs that it can boot from and allow me to select on power up?

Thanks!

It seems to have the same proprietary slots as the 7,1. So it really is not a traditional SSD. The controller is on the motherboard and the storage sticks are just memory that are RAID in a proprietary way.

So that means you either just partition the single storage space for personal/work.

Or, you get a 3rd party drive solution in one of the slots.

kelvin.lau

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2019
I don't think partition will work. Legally speaking they want to own the hardware that contains all the company data. Mixing personal and work in 1 SSD will probably not fly.

Seems like I can buy some sort of PCIe 4 SSD expansion module. Do you know if the Mac Pro will recognize two separate boot drives and allow me to click into it on startup?

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
I don't think partition will work. Legally speaking they want to own the hardware that contains all the company data. Mixing personal and work in 1 SSD will probably not fly.

Seems like I can buy some sort of PCIe 4 SSD expansion module. Do you know if the Mac Pro will recognize two separate boot drives and allow me to click into it on startup?

I don't see any reason why it wouldnt. All current other Macs let you boot from an external source.

Reactions: flat4
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.