Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ric_d

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
Washington, DC, USA
Every previous version of iOS let me have a photo for my lock screen and a wallpaper theme for my home screen. With iOS 16, I cannot do this -- if I choose a photo for my lock screen, the photo becomes my home screen as well (with minor customizations available). This is a step backwards.

I'm using an iPhone 13 Pro. Am I missing something?

GIBBI

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2018
You can select a photo as Homescreen in the modification, but none of the default wallpapers if you don’t use a default lockscreen…

It’s really annoying for me and I don’t understand why Apple did this.

Reactions: kanon14

Hoyboy

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
I noticed this too. Spent ages trying to get a work around.

The best I could come up with was to download the iOS 16 wallpapers from the internet and save to photos. Then set a photo as my Lock Screen and use the customise the Home Screen option to select the downloaded wallpapers in my saved photos.

Really shouldn’t have to do this though. Seems like such a step backwards.

Reactions: happy orchard

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
You just hold down, hit customize, hit done, then click customize Home Screen, and you can change your Home Screen to anything you want. Wallpapers, etc. it’s there.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
You just hold down, hit customize, hit done, then click customize Home Screen, and you can change your Home Screen to anything you want. Wallpapers, etc. it’s there.
System wallpapers? I’m only seeing the option to add a photo from my library.

Reactions: PMason

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
The lock screen can be set to whatever you want independently, the home screen is different and has a limited selection.

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2018
Holding down on the Lock Screen to enter customisation defo does not work on my SE2. Just tells me to unlock the phone. Then I'm into my Home Screen and have to go through Settings.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Holding down on the Lock Screen to enter customisation defo does not work on my SE2. Just tells me to unlock the phone. Then I'm into my Home Screen and have to go through Settings.
If you go to the notification centre after unlocking the phone you can also customize from there.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Where is the screen that has the two half circles like seen on many videos I have seen? The collections doesn’t have it. I believe it’s the one on the box

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Where is the screen that has the two half circles like seen on many videos I have seen? The collections doesn’t have it. I believe it’s the one on the box
The one on the iPhone 14 Pro box? If so that will be exclusive to the iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max. You'll have to download it from the internet to get it on an older phone.

Reactions: whsbuss

ifxf

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Is it still possible to change one wallpaper (lockscreen or home) without changing the other. In setup, you have two customize buttons but they both seem to create a new wallpaper pair. Also why did Apple only permit deleting pairs from the lockscreen but not from setup. I found I created half dozen pairs when just trying to change the background of my home screen.

Reactions: MacFan782040

Wilson1313

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2008
Agree this is convoluted and confusing. Many people will just give up and not use any lock-screen widgets and stick with what they had in iOS 15.

Reactions: golfnut1982

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I have my locks screen and Home Screen completely different. Not that difficult to do
That’s not the point. What you cannot do is pick an APPLE wallpaper for your Home Screen only. You can only pick a photo from your own photo library.

Screen shot attached. No way to go back to Apples own wallpaper library, only your own.

Attachments

• B236F835-E7B1-41E3-8C92-61839E1C3DC0.jpeg
    B236F835-E7B1-41E3-8C92-61839E1C3DC0.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 136
Reactions: Alchemist

page3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2003
Outside the EU
Agree this is convoluted and confusing. Many people will just give up and not use any lock-screen widgets and stick with what they had in iOS 15.
Except the “upgrade” means you get ugly thick text for the time and your original Lock Screen image is transferred slightly zoomed, which in my case is a problem as the image I was using doesn’t work visually if it’s size and alignment are wrong.

Craigf56

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2022
This is the most stupid thing I’ve ever seen on an iPhone. I quite fancy one of the new system wallpapers for my Home Screen but not the Lock Screen. Can I do that? No. Why the hell not?

Yes, I know I can download them, but talk about hard work!

Reactions: GeneticBloom

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
You set your lock screen first and that sets both lock and home screen. Then you go to the home screen and click customize and one of the circles at the bottom says photos and you can select one photo from your photo gallery for that and that gives you the separate wallpapers.

I believe you can now download the latest iPhone 14 wallpapers and add them to your photos to use those on the home screen.

The new wallpapers “suck” as the priority is always on and dynamic island and such so on older phones you get less with iOS16.

Reactions: missyagogo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.