Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewUsername

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 20, 2019
I have a Nike sport band, but after using the same Watch band every day for 1.5 years, the colour has started to look awful (though the band itself still works perfectly). So recently I decided to get a new Nike sport band.

Now I go swimming several times a week and my question is: is it a good idea to go back to using my old Watch band every time I go swimming? Or does swimming not really affect the Watch band that much?

Snide

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
My guess is you’re swimming in chlorinated pool(s)? Does it look like it’s getting bleached and is fading?

I’d be curious to see some photos if it’s not too much trouble. I’ve never heard of this!

Reactions: zecanard

Morrissey

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2018
San Diego, California
I swim too, and only the new and old Nylon watchbands fade a little bit, not much... but I change watchbands almost everyday and since I saw that, I only use the sport watch bands when I go swimming.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I have a Nike sport band, but after using the same Watch band every day for 1.5 years, the colour has started to look awful (though the band itself still works perfectly). So recently I decided to get a new Nike sport band.

Now I go swimming several times a week and my question is: is it a good idea to go back to using my old Watch band every time I go swimming? Or does swimming not really affect the Watch band that much?
Well, the chlorine in the pool water will eventually bleach any type of material submerged in it after quite some time. I would suggest you keep using the band you currently have as it will only discolor, not degrade the material.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.