Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jocab64

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2008
I've just recently converted my Harry Potter movies for use on my apple tv. I want to be able to have them displayed in order of release rather than by there names. Is this possible by editing the season or episode number tags in itunes?

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
I've just recently converted my Harry Potter movies for use on my apple tv. I want to be able to have them displayed in order of release rather than by there names. Is this possible by editing the season or episode number tags in itunes?

Not the most elegant way of doing it but I just put my series' as

Back To The Future I
Back To The Future II
Back To The Future III

Jaws I
Jaws II
Jaws III
Jaws IV

etc...

That way they appear in 'release' order. I guess with Harry Potter (if you want the full names to appear) you could call them:

Harry Potter I - 'whatever its called'
Harry Potter II - 'whatever its called'
etc...

As for a setting to change how they are displayed there is none.

ejbenjamin

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2005
You can display the proper names but order them in any way you want. Use the Sorting fields in the Get Info dialog box.

jocab64

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2008
Yes I was referring to how they display on the appletv. While not the most elegant solution, I will probably borrow your numbering scheme. Thanks for the idea.

Macsterling

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
Dallas
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

actually it does appear that way on my Atv with the sorting issue when streaming. It streams just like I have it in iTunes.

ejbenjamin

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2005
It works on synced movies for me, too. I sequence using the title sort fields, exactly as the OP wants.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
Really? I've never been able to get the Indiana Jones movies, for example, to sort correctly on the :apple:TV. What tags are y'all using that does the trick?

jocab64

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2008
I'll have to give it a try when i get home tonight. I'm assuming you just put the number in the sorting title field?

ejbenjamin

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2005
Really? I've never been able to get the Indiana Jones movies, for example, to sort correctly on the :apple:TV. What tags are y'all using that does the trick?

For the Indiana Jones movies, for example, you might enter "Raiders of the Lost Ark" in the Name field and "Indiana Jones 1" in the Sort Name field. Enter "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" in the Name field and "Indiana Jones 2" in the Sort Name field, and so on for Last Crusade.

In iTunes, Raiders will appear above Temple will appear above Crusade, when you sort by name. (Of course, if you sort by any other criteria, such as date added or year, they won't necessarily be in the order you want.)

I sync movies to the AppleTV and I have it display only synced content. In the My Movies menu, they would thus display as Raiders first, Temple second, Crusade third, the same as in iTunes.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
Ah, now I see. That's a good tip I'll have to try when I get home. I had not tried that before.

Regards,
Michael

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
For the Indiana Jones movies, for example, you might enter "Raiders of the Lost Ark" in the Name field and "Indiana Jones 1" in the Sort Name field. Enter "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" in the Name field and "Indiana Jones 2" in the Sort Name field, and so on for Last Crusade.

In iTunes, Raiders will appear above Temple will appear above Crusade, when you sort by name. (Of course, if you sort by any other criteria, such as date added or year, they won't necessarily be in the order you want.)

I sync movies to the AppleTV and I have it display only synced content. In the My Movies menu, they would thus display as Raiders first, Temple second, Crusade third, the same as in iTunes.

So I was able to try this once I got home. Unfortunately this tip does not work for streamed content. Alas.

Regards,
Michael

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.