Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
I looked up my iPad‘s serial number online for… no reason whatsoever really. Just curiosity, I guess.
I bought it used, if that’s of any importance.

Be that as it may, the serial number lookup returned a purchase date of sometime in 1978. While this iPad is not all that new, it’s also not *that* old :D
Why would it return an impossible purchase date?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Apple serial numbers are random, since about 2021? The serial number no longer stores the week of manufacture/location/whatever, and is simply an ID for the Apple device.
Searchable database does not work since then on new devices.
Could be that a random serial just randomly shows an impossible year combination as a random result.
The best way to find out anything now, is to look up the model number, so that you know for sure which iPad you have. You will no longer get detailed info by searching for the serial number.

kevcube

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2020
devices are not serialized at time of purchase, why would this database contain your purchase information?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I looked up my iPad‘s serial number online for… no reason whatsoever really. Just curiosity, I guess.
Where did you look this up? Obviously the tool is wildly incorrect.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021

Be that as it may, the serial number lookup returned a purchase date of sometime in 1978. While this iPad is not all that new, it’s also not *that* old :D
Why would it return an impossible purchase date?

From Apple Discussions:
iPhone purchase date is 1 april 1978
Purchase date is in 1978 !!
ASIS iPhone with purchased date 1978
Purchase Date being April 1978 + No Warranty + 5G model number

Reactions: BanjoDudeAhoy

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
devices are not serialized at time of purchase, why would this database contain your purchase information?
I didn’t want my purchase information - I just wanted to see what it gives me at all. When it then gave me a weird date, I was curious as to why it would do that.

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
Apple serial numbers are random, since about 2021? The serial number no longer stores the week of manufacture/location/whatever, and is simply an ID for the Apple device.
Searchable database does not work since then on new devices.
Could be that a random serial just randomly shows an impossible year combination as a random result.
The best way to find out anything now, is to look up the model number, so that you know for sure which iPad you have. You will no longer get detailed info by searching for the serial number.

Since the iPhone 12s in Purple were released ( and this is what makes the Purple iPhone 12’s better than the rest of the iPhone 12 color lineup)

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
The closest you can get is to check the battery manufacture date. This can be accessed by the analytic logs deep inside Settings > Privacy, but it is much easier to just use coconutBattery on the Mac, plug the iPad in the Mac and it will show you that date in the window.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.