Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drakula

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2021
So a very weird issue that has popped up over the last few days. I have a Series 5 44mm (Model A2095) running on WatchOS 7.2 (18S563). The last few days it's barely been able to get through the day. I put the watch on at about 8:20am this morning and it's currently at 10pm and at 6%. I just purchased the watch right before Christmas so I haven't even had it for a month. Up until the last few days when I'd go to bed at night I'd still have anywhere between 40-50% left battery wise and that's with "always on" on. I've tried unpairing and repairing the watch and it seems to still really be draining battery. I'm not sure why this is happening and if anyone can help that would be great.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
I have no idea if this is your issue, but I had a similar issue & it turned out to be a corrupted install of the audible app. I’d recommend removing all third party complications from your watch & see if that eliminates the issue. If it does, you can reinstall the third party apps, although I would recommend doing it only one or two at a time to see if one of them brings the issue back.

drakula

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2021
I have no idea if this is your issue, but I had a similar issue & it turned out to be a corrupted install of the audible app. I’d recommend removing all third party complications from your watch & see if that eliminates the issue. If it does, you can reinstall the third party apps, although I would recommend doing it only one or two at a time to see if one of them brings the issue back.
Thanks for this. I've basically uninstalled all non stock apps. I think I have only 4 non stock apps installed now. I also noticed that the local Ontario Covid-19 alert app seems to be really draining my phone battery. It dropped almost 30-40% last night on my phone. So I deleted it and am curious if this will help with my battery.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
I've also noticed, battery life seems to get better after a couple days.
not sure if the OS is analyzing the battery and needs a few cycles to figure that out, if it's doing more in the background as it sorts itself out, or something else entirely.

so if you've just done the reset, and your life is better, but not great, give it a couple days before passing final judgement.

schlupps

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2020
RheinMain - Germany
Hope, there will be an overview in the watches battery panel in the future, that shows how the different apps eat up the battery.. like shown on the phone already.

drakula

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2021
Yesterday I woke up at 8am and put my watch on as per usual. By roughly 9:20pm it was completely dead. So I factory restored it and paired it as "new" with my phone. Curious if this will fix the issues that seem to have presented themselves roughly a week ago. I have no non stock apps except for "Spark" installed on it currently and even deleted apps I'll never use like "cycle tracking".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.