Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Madmischief

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
Oxford, UK
Hi gang,

A public service announcement:

I sadly dinged my 11 month old Apple Watch, did not buy AppleCare this time ? thinking I’ve never had to use it on my other SS ones - why pay even more than the hefty price?

Sent it from the UK to the Apple EU service centre in the Cezch Republic and they want £300 + taxes to repair it.

So either add protection to the screen (ruin the design), baby your watch or buy £80 AppleCare.

Bit gutted as I now have an expensive cracked paperweight … lesson learned.

999A23C7-AB57-494A-B5FE-A3E2BE3C96A4.jpeg

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
that sucks, but it can happen.
I always get AC+ for my watch, I smashed the screen on my S0 ~ 2 months after AC+ expired (there was no month to month extension at the time yet), so was happy that Apple now lets you extend, for me, and its $3.99/mponth in the :US, it is worth it

Matcha

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2021
Hi gang,

A public service announcement:

I sadly dinged my 11 month old Apple Watch, did not buy AppleCare this time ? thinking I’ve never had to use it on my other SS ones - why pay even more than the hefty price?

Sent it from the UK to the Apple EU service centre in the Cezch Republic and they want £300 + taxes to repair it.

So either add protection to the screen (ruin the design), baby your watch or buy £80 AppleCare.

Bit gutted as I now have an expensive cracked paperweight … lesson learned.

View attachment 1932377
is the steel damaged any or just the glass damage?

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Can a third party repairer not fix this? I’ve never bought AC either and figure if I damage something once in a decade, I’ve saved a lot of money anyway. I also buy the aluminium watches so the loss or repair bill is nowhere near as much along with the depreciation lol.

Reactions: Night Spring

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
On a positive note , You can probably just sell it as is and use the funds towards AppleCare on your next watch

Reactions: Madmischief
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.