Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lucansmiles

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
Vienna, Austria
Since yesterday I've had severe disk problems in macOS Mojave. I have a USB 3.0 Hub connected to my MacBook Pro 2018 via the Apple USB-C to USB-A Adapter.

When plugging in a HFS+ or exFAT formatted disk into the USB Hub macOS doesn't seem to let its Volumes mount. In Disk Utility the volume is greyed out. Hitting "Mount" in Disk Utility doesn't do anything. Then, after some looong time of waiting the volume finally mounts and I get the following error message:

macOS can’t repair the disk “pophaus Data 01”.

You can still open or copy files on the disk, but you can’t save changes to files on the disk. Back up the disk and reformat it as soon as you can.

I immediately thought that the drive is going to fail soon. However, I soon released that this is not a hardware problem at all! I've had three(!) drives show this message since. Two of them are LACIE Porsche Design Mobile 4TB and the third is a Seagate drive, also 4TB. What the hell is going on?

Sure enough, I can copy files off of the drive. But I can't change anything on them just like the error message says. What am I supposed to do? I tried hooking the problematic drives up WITHOUT the USB 3.0 Hub and I even tried hooking the drives up to an older Mac running Sierra or High Sierra. Same problem. I also tried running Disk Utility's first aid, but to no avail. Plus, even if Disk Utility could revive these drives, will this problem show up again?

Anyone out there who experienced something like this? Please help!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
What happens if you:
1. Disconnect everything (including the hub)
2. Connect the drive ONE AT A TIME, DIRECTLY to the Mac.
3. Does each one then mount on the desktop? Or... same errors...?

It could be the hub... not the drives...

lucansmiles

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
Vienna, Austria
Solved it! I found it was indeed the hub!

The hub only delivered 2 Amps, and each disk would draw about 0.9 Amps, so when connecting a third drive this is where problems arise – the filesystem got destroyed somehow through this on all three disks!
Ordered a new 10 Ampere hub and everything is working without issues now! I was able to rescue one disk using DiskWarrior, the other one, unfortunately, had to be reformatted.

So make sure you have a strong enough hub when connecting more than 2 disks at a time. Hope this helps someone experiencing the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.