Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Feb 19, 2005
Hi I have my PowerBook plugged into the ac plug, it is sitting on my desk, no other speakers are turned on around it. I've had this set up this way for weeks now. I opened Garage Band today and there was a huge screach so bad and OSX locked. I had to power down. I opened GB again and same thing. This time I was able to turn monitor off and no feedback issue. It was so loud someone thought it was a smoke alarm gone seriously wrong. I do not know what is happening. Nothing else is plugged into the PB.

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
I had a similar problem when I pugged my guitar into my PB and opened GB. I had to switch the input sound from "internal mic" to "line in" in system preferences, sound. Maybe something switched it on you in the last couple of weeks.

jessica . Hi I have my PowerBook plugged into the ac plug, it is sitting on my desk, no other speakers are turned on around it. I've had this set up this way for weeks now. I opened Garage Band today and there was a huge screach so bad and OSX locked. I had to power down. I opened GB again and same thing. This time I was able to turn monitor off and no feedback issue. It was so loud someone thought it was a smoke alarm gone seriously wrong. I do not know what is happening. Nothing else is plugged into the PB.

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
neocell said:
I had to switch the input sound from "internal mic" to "line in" in system preferences, sound. Maybe something switched it on you in the last couple of weeks.
Sounds like the culprit to me. I had a simular problem with a Max/MSP patch i built, however for whatever reason, the computer switched from my MOTU to "internal mic". Dont know why, and it has not happened since. Gotta love using beta drivers for older audio equipment. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.