Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How many times have you charged and listened to headphones simultaneously in the last year?

• Never

Votes: 328 42.2%
  • Less than 10 times

Votes: 114 14.7%
  • Less than 50 times

Votes: 59 7.6%
  • More than 50 times

Votes: 277 35.6%

• Total voters

wozmatic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
I can see the desire to charge and listen to something, granted, you'll be stuck in one spot as your power cable needs to be plugged into an outlet.

Perhaps office workers at a desk job would be the majority of people with this desire?

With that being said, who actually does this and in what situation?

Last edited:
Reactions: guinness8878

se1000

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
LA, CA
It's rare but there are times when traveling when I run out of juice on my bluetooth headphones and then have to take a long phone call while either driving or in an office where another phone isn't available. Admittedly, with a little bit of simple planning the situation can be avoided, but before the solution was simple

mtcowdog

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2010
Um, all the time. I charge my iPhone and watch and plug in my headphones each night as I hopefully go so sleep. Wired headphones simply work for me. The comfort and benefit of noise canceling without battery issues is a bigger deal to me than wireless. I use inexpensive wireless headphones for running, most days for me. Those same wireless headphones don't work for bedtime. That is odd to write but totally true. Also lightning plug in pulls out very easily compared to the old headphone plug in. For someone who is active, that's kind of a big deal. Apple is pushing an agenda, but they didn't give us anything better as compensation. This is very un-Apple to this multi-decadal fan.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
I have to say never. I have to admit that I don't listen to music as often as others. When ever I do listen to music though I'm either out walking or running, I never sit in the house and listen to music. As result I'm never in the position to charge and listen to music at the same time, this is also helped by the fact that I generally only charge my iPhone at night time when I'm asleep.

All in all the removal of the headphone jack won't affect me as my headphones that I have can just use the adaptor thats supplied.

I honestly see this as Apple doing the pushing before manufacturers of headphones push phone manufacturers to no longer need a headphone jack. Wireless headphones are becoming more and more popular, either a manufactures turned around and said 'You know what, we can do without the headphone jack', or consumers would say 'Why do we need the headphone jack with the popularity of wireless headphones and how cheap they can be made now?'

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sometimes in bed listening to something while charging, sometimes at work listening to something while charging, a lot of times in the car when having one headphone in for phone calls while the phone is charging, etc.

Reactions: Rina11

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
all the time except in a car. I don't put the phone next my head so i'm stuck with the wired stuff.

BT I imagine is ok if your using them all the time, as then the hassle overhead, so to speak, is small, relatively. But if you don't use them all the time, preparation is going to really be a chore. I won't go there.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Not once in a decade of owning iPhones, iPads, iPods, Palms or even computers. I can honestly say my MacBook has never been plugged in while using headphones.

Daki

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2010
I do this all the time when I'm at my desk at work, listening to Pandora. However, I got annoyed at the headphone cord and switched to bluetooth powerbeats. They pretty much last me all day, but I turn them off whenever I know I'm going to be away from my desk

Reactions: jd369

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
All the time.

My work vehicle only has AUX so when I'm driving I use 3.5mm connected to AUX and charge via the lightning connector to a cigarette lighter plug. Short of installing a new head unit into my employers vehicle I don't have much choice.

I'll get an iPhone 7 when their is a quality accessory for this. The Lightning dock can essentially do this so I'm sure someone will make a more mobile solution eventually.

scrap104

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2010
UTC−05:00
Majority of the time I don't. When I do it's mainly on long flights that I've charged and used noise-canceling headphones. Keeping it charged is a must with the screen on for video playback and games and having a full charge stepping into the airport. With the iPhone 7 and beyond I'll probably cope with intervals of wired headphones without charging and Bluetooth headphones while charging. Or I'll probably get the dual lightning adapter for my next long flight.

IUBall22

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
I actually listen and charge at the same time practically every day while sitting at my desk at work. Having said that, this change doesn't bother me at all, I'll just adapt.

swedegirl

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2015
I do a lot of cross Atlantic flights when I charge and use noise cancelling headset at the same time.... I also frequently use the headset and charge in the car at the same time ( for talking on the phone).... I am upgrading to 7, but mainly because my 6s plus battery is crap and only lasts me half a day

Reactions: ender21 and RevTEG
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.