Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willryan42

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
So I first noticed this on my iPhone but I've now pinpointed it down to what seems like the metadata in the mp3's themselves.

If I'm playing a song, once it gets to the end it hangs at "0:00 remaining" and then jumps back several seconds (sometimes up to 10 or 15 seconds), replays that last bit, and eventually moves on to the next song. Sometimes this repeat happens multiple times before moving on to the next song.

It happens on the iOS Music app, it happens on the Catalina Music app, and — this is what really tipped me off — it happens if I preview the song in Finder.

This looping isn't baked into the actual file itself (thank god). I opened one of the problem songs in an audio editor and it plays just fine. And the audio waveform shows the song ending as expected.

It's happening with a TON of songs in my library, probably 80%. I feel like it first started happening around when I transitioned from iTunes to Music on macOS, so I wonder if something got goofed up there.

Here's a song I uploaded for you to see what I'm talking about. Download it, start playing (either in Finder or Music), scrub to the end, let it finish, and wait a couple seconds. It should suddenly jump backwards ~10 seconds or so: https://mega.nz/file/CIxzRQYA#JodSL-Xd0pRJr0FMhovy4AqOInG75DbAl04Nst-wGLE

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.