Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buttongerald

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 29, 2016
St. John's, Newfoundland
Greetings all.

I recently was able to downgrade my iMac to OS X Mavericks 10.9.5. I was struggling with this for weeks and after some time browsing here and creating a thread, I got some answers and solutions and I am now back on the OS that ran best on my iMac.

Anyway, my iPhone however has been reset, and updated to iOS 9.2.1, which I do not like, but it seems I am screwed because my iTunes version will not sync with my iPhone, and I do NOT want to upgrade iTunes, as I really hate 12, and part of the reason I wished to come back to Mavericks was to once again use iTunes 11.

What I am wondering is, am I completely screwed now? Is the only way to keep my devices in sync to just suck it up and go with El Capitan? I wish I could downgrade my iPhone to iOS 8, but I just spent the last 2-3 hours trying this and I just get errors and see posts on how it cannot be done. I have an iPhone 5C to be clear.

If anyone has tips advice, or even the brutal truth, that'd help clear some things up. Also, sorry if this is posted in the wrong sub-forum, wasn't sure if this is an iOS, iTunes, or iPhone issue specifically.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Greetings all.

I recently was able to downgrade my iMac to OS X Mavericks 10.9.5. I was struggling with this for weeks and after some time browsing here and creating a thread, I got some answers and solutions and I am now back on the OS that ran best on my iMac.

Anyway, my iPhone however has been reset, and updated to iOS 9.2.1, which I do not like, but it seems I am screwed because my iTunes version will not sync with my iPhone, and I do NOT want to upgrade iTunes, as I really hate 12, and part of the reason I wished to come back to Mavericks was to once again use iTunes 11.

What I am wondering is, am I completely screwed now? Is the only way to keep my devices in sync to just suck it up and go with El Capitan? I wish I could downgrade my iPhone to iOS 8, but I just spent the last 2-3 hours trying this and I just get errors and see posts on how it cannot be done. I have an iPhone 5C to be clear.

If anyone has tips advice, or even the brutal truth, that'd help clear some things up. Also, sorry if this is posted in the wrong sub-forum, wasn't sure if this is an iOS, iTunes, or iPhone issue specifically.

I don't believe that you can get there from here. As I understand it, you need iTunes 12.x.x. to support iOS 9.x.

If I am wrong, no doubt, I will be corrected shortly. :D

Reactions: lagwagon

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Couldn't you install iTunes 12 in 10.9.5? What I missed when I upgraded to iOS 9 and downgrade to Mavericks is Notes app which had been upgraded with no option for downgrade. You can still sync iOS 9 with Mavericks. However, downgrade to IOS 8 would not be possible.

Greetings all.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Couldn't you install iTunes 12 in 10.9.5? What I missed when I upgraded to iOS 9 and downgrade to Mavericks is Notes app which had been upgraded with no option for downgrade. You can still sync iOS 9 with Mavericks. However, downgrade to IOS 8 would not be possible.

Did you miss the part where he said he hated iTunes 12 and wanted to run Mavericks to be able to run iTunes 11?

Last edited:

buttongerald

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 29, 2016
St. John's, Newfoundland
As an bit of an update, I have come to terms with the fact that Apple are not overly big on its users using their older software, which is alright I guess I should expect that.

I really only used my iPhone as well, a phone and an iPod. I can still use the phone and text features thanks to iCloud keeping my contacts, and in that regards I can also download any purchased album to the device while home on my Wi-Fi. The only pain in the ass is that everything that was made easier syncing via iTunes now has to be done the long way on the device itself. I don't ever use the camera so syncing photos and self shot videos isn't an issue, and even if I wanted to do that I can just upload those to the cloud as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.