Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ipadq

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2010
You had this for an anecdote demonstrating the 'magical' quality of the iPad...

iPad has 'changed' 99-year-old woman's life

According to a report in The Oregonian, Virginia Campbell, of Lake Oswego, Ore., suffers from glaucoma, making it extremely difficult to engage in her favorite pastimes: reading and writing.

After hearing about the iPad, Campbell, an alumnus of Portland's Reed College, decided that the tablet could be the tool she needed to get back to enjoying reading and writing. And she was right.

The iPad has "changed her life," Campbell's daughter Ginny Adelsheim told The Oregonian in an interview.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20003192-17.html

and you went with this?

"It’s changing the way we’re experiencing the web. Things like email, photos, maps, you name it — it’s a whole new way to interact with the internet, with apps, with our content and media, and it’s going over really well. And it IS magical. I know it, because I got this email…"
apple-wwdc10_324.jpg

Tsk Tsk Mr. Jobs!

On second thought, the device did make a girl interested in someone who is dorky enough to send such an email. So I guess this is indeed a better anecdote of its 'magical' qualities.

EDIT:
This is just a lighthearted post. I am in no way criticizing Mr. Jobs. I am making this edit because several people seem to think this was a tirade/complaint. And many thanks to rdowns who helped with the emoticon to depict tongue-in-cheek: :p

Ipadq

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2010
He was going for a laugh. People find anything and everything to complain about.

I know, and so was I. This was intended to be a light-hearted thread. Hard to depict tongue-in-cheek in these posts.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I was talking to a pilot at lunch on Sunday at some search & rescue training... he was playing with my iPad.

I said something and he said to me, "You have a kid here?"

Laughing i said, "yes, in the kitchen... by the food (he'd just gotten a plate of it)... you know, with the iPad"

Him, "Ohhhh, yes, her. I tend to notice the iPad over a kid!"

NOt thinking this is doing much for MY social life at this point! :D

Ipadq

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2010
Um, that's what :p is for. :rolleyes:

Thanks rdowns! I'm new to the world of emoticons. Will use that going forward!

Perhaps I should edit the original post and add the emoticons so that people don't trip up over a lighthearted post.

spiralynth

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
You know when you see those emotional commercials, like a family bonding at McDonald's, or a soldier coming home to a brand new Ford truck in his driveway as the ultimate gift for the war hero, or a Budweiser commercial playing on the Flag of the USA ... pulls at your heart strings, don't it? You're thinking "aw shucks ... what an honorable company ... I should go buy their products ..."

Those are the scummiest forms of advertising on earth. Bottom of the barrel stuff. I respect Apple for not playing that cheap card.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Perhaps he really does not want to risk giving young people the idea that the iPad is associated with old people who can't use a proper computer so it's been make simple for them to understand.

Possibly not the image he's wants to push too much.

Young people could get pretty anti if they even whiff something about a device for the elderly as opposed to a really young and trendy audience.

Perhaps that's the reason.

KevKaos

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland USA
You know when you see those emotional commercials, like a family bonding at McDonald's, or a soldier coming home to a brand new Ford truck in his driveway as the ultimate gift for the war hero, or a Budweiser commercial playing on the Flag of the USA ... pulls at your heart strings, don't it? You're thinking "aw shucks ... what an honorable company ... I should go buy their products ..."

Those are the scummiest forms of advertising on earth. Bottom of the barrel stuff. I respect Apple for not playing that cheap card.

You mean like that commercial with the CEO of BP speaking about the cleanup efforts on the massive oil spill? They keep showing the beautiful beaches and such in the background. That just reminds me of how it used to look and how it WON'T look once that slick hits the beaches full force. He would have been better off speaking from in front of a curtain. What a smug scumbag. Sorry, I was on a rant, but your post just reminded me of that terrible commercial that keeps showing over, and over.

Piggie, I think you have an excellent point there.

Chodite

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Baltimore, MD

No, because I known that Budweiser is no longer American-owned :p

Ipadq

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2010

Interesting perspective. What was your reaction when you saw the following Facetime commercial?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1wbQdVezio

spiralynth

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
Interesting perspective. What was your reaction when you saw the following Facetime commercial?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1wbQdVezio

I wept, then immediately pre-ordered an iPhone 4. Shortly thereafter I remembered that I'm on 3GS contract lockdown for another year, after which I promptly cancelled my order.

Seriously though, that ad is mostly based on a cheap and ancient seller's ploy. Plain and simple. The only caveat would be that the theme of the ad ties into the actual function of the product (unlike unhealthy food/healthy relationships, hero/truck or beer/flag). The fact they're simply illustrating how this new function can improve one's life through human connections - albeit a touch campily - might salvage it. But it's definitely right on the edge in my book.

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Thanks rdowns! I'm new to the world of emoticons. Will use that going forward!

Perhaps I should edit the original post and add the emoticons so that people don't trip up over a lighthearted post.
Haha, no worries. For every one of you who makes a lighthearted post there's ten others trying to gripe about every little nuance that is Apple. They don't seem to understand that blind hatred of all Apple is no better than blind love. Ce la vie.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
I was talking to a pilot at lunch on Sunday at some search & rescue training... he was playing with my iPad.

I said something and he said to me, "You have a kid here?"

Laughing i said, "yes, in the kitchen... by the food (he'd just gotten a plate of it)... you know, with the iPad"

Him, "Ohhhh, yes, her. I tend to notice the iPad over a kid!"

NOt thinking this is doing much for MY social life at this point! :D

lol oh my thanks for sharing that I needed a chuckle.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Personally, I found the example Steve showed much more appealing to me as a user. ;)

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Personally, I found the example Steve showed much more appealing to me as a user. ;)

Yeah, Jobs did the right thing. He has an audience to sell to. Geeks getting some tail trumps granny shopping for Depends on Amazon any day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.