Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Finally caved and purchased the ASK. I like it because it's thin, lightweight, and uses the smart connector. However, it's very inconvenient to fold and unfold all the flaps to get the right angle. And I am still annoyed that third party keyboards have not yet come out with their own smart connector compatible keyboard cases. Would love to see a design similar to Logitech's Blok Keyboard, thinner of course, and with a storage slot for the Pencil.
Wow, $170 is a steep "cave-in". :eek:

Have you contacted Logitech regarding a version of the Logi Blok keyboard for the iPP? I'm debating whether or not to get one for my Air 2. A slim version of that would be terrific.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Wow, $170 is a steep "cave-in". :eek:

Have you contacted Logitech regarding a version of the Logi Blok keyboard for the iPP? I'm debating whether or not to get one for my Air 2. A slim version of that would be terrific.

Have you seen the Blok in person? Got it for my daughter to use with her iPad at school and while the build and feel of the keyboard is great, the case part is huge and triples the size of the Air 2 as a tablet. She didn't mind because she was almost always using it along with the keyboard but ultimately we had to abandon it altogether because of flakey BT connectivity. It would frequently lose connection for a couple seconds while she was using it--often every few minutes. No troubleshooting was able to resolve the problem. She now has the Belkin Qode Ulitmate Pro and couldn't be happier (much smaller footprint, very good keyboard and much smaller tablet case that can actually be rotated into portrait for use with the keyboard or quickly removed for use on its own.

jmaluso

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2016
San Luis Obispo, CA
Have you seen the Blok in person? Got it for my daughter to use with her iPad at school and while the build and feel of the keyboard is great, the case part is huge and triples the size of the Air 2 as a tablet. She didn't mind because she was almost always using it along with the keyboard but ultimately we had to abandon it altogether because of flakey BT connectivity. It would frequently lose connection for a couple seconds while she was using it--often every few minutes. No troubleshooting was able to resolve the problem. She now has the Belkin Qode Ulitmate Pro and couldn't be happier (much smaller footprint, very good keyboard and much smaller tablet case that can actually be rotated into portrait for use with the keyboard or quickly removed for use on its own.

the Belkin Qode Ultimate Pro looks really nice and I hope they duplicate it for the iPad Pro.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
the Belkin Qode Ultimate Pro looks really nice and I hope they duplicate it for the iPad Pro.

Agree, would be near ideal setup--multiple viewing angles, easily removable tablet, very good backlit keyboard. Appears you can even use the tablet case portion with an Apple Smart Cover for the times you don't need to bring the keyboard.

I will say that I'm loving my experience with the Zagg Slimbook. Yes, the keyboard is heavy but when docked, it's really like using a MBP (my wife even instinctively went to use the 'trackpad' before realizing what it was). I'll personally take the trade off in size/weight to have easily removable (yet still protected), backlighting, good key travel/feel, all the iPad applicable function keys, infinite view angles and much better stability for use on your lap. If Belkin does make an iPP version of the Qode Ultimate Pro, I will certainly take a look at it though.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
No, i have not seen the Blok but i know based on various reviews that it is mammoth. i have the Belkin Qode Ultimate (not the Pro) and love it. super thin and light for a full keyboard cover, love the auto on and off as it connects with the magnetic positions. The only downside is no portraitmode and no ability to easily disconnect the ipad from the keyboard.

jmaluso

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2016
San Luis Obispo, CA
Agree, would be near ideal setup--multiple viewing angles, easily removable tablet, very good backlit keyboard. Appears you can even use the tablet case portion with an Apple Smart Cover for the times you don't need to bring the keyboard.

I will say that I'm loving my experience with the Zagg Slimbook. Yes, the keyboard is heavy but when docked, it's really like using a MBP (my wife even instinctively went to use the 'trackpad' before realizing what it was). I'll personally take the trade off in size/weight to have easily removable (yet still protected), backlighting, good key travel/feel, all the iPad applicable function keys, infinite view angles and much better stability for use on your lap. If Belkin does make an iPP version of the Qode Ultimate Pro, I will certainly take a look at it though.

How heavy is the Slimbook with the iPad Pro in it? Double the weight and thickness? I just returned the Apple Smart Keyboard and Silicone case because I felt like it was too heavy for what I paid. Does it feel solid and well built? Is the keyboard aluminum on the top and plastic on the bottom? Sorry for the 20 questions.

I am thinking about waiting for the Brydge Keyboard to come out and see the reviews. But my friend has the Zagg Slimbook for her iPad Air 2 and seems to enjoy it.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
How heavy is the Slimbook with the iPad Pro in it? Double the weight and thickness? I just returned the Apple Smart Keyboard and Silicone case because I felt like it was too heavy for what I paid. Does it feel solid and well built? Is the keyboard aluminum on the top and plastic on the bottom? Sorry for the 20 questions.

I am thinking about waiting for the Brydge Keyboard to come out and see the reviews. But my friend has the Zagg Slimbook for her iPad Air 2 and seems to enjoy it.

If you thought the ASK and silicone case were heavy, you'll hate the Zagg--it's like carrying around a MPB, maybe even a touch heavier. Using their design there really isn't any way around it because the extra weight is needed to counter balance the weight of the iPP itself, which is much heavier than a typical laptop display, otherwise it would easily tip over. The hinge further reinforces this need as it's really still on it's own.

The Brydge looks very nice but doesn't look like you can use it with any case on the iPP itself. I also think I like the function button choices on the Zagg a little better (love having Multitasking and emoji/alt keyboard buttons).

If weight is an issue, don't think you'll find anything lighter than the ASK.

jmaluso

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2016
San Luis Obispo, CA
If you thought the ASK and silicone case were heavy, you'll hate the Zagg--it's like carrying around a MPB, maybe even a touch heavier. Using their design there really isn't any way around it because the extra weight is needed to counter balance the weight of the iPP itself, which is much heavier than a typical laptop display, otherwise it would easily tip over. The hinge further reinforces this need as it's really still on it's own.

The Brydge looks very nice but doesn't look like you can use it with any case on the iPP itself. I also think I like the function button choices on the Zagg a little better (love having Multitasking and emoji/alt keyboard buttons).

If weight is an issue, don't think you'll find anything lighter than the ASK.

Thanks for the reply!

It looks like the Brydge has it's own clear plastic case to protect the back on the device and it works with their keyboard. The ASK just didn't win me over. Maybe I just expected too much. I didn't like the missing function key row, no backlight, the funky origami foolishness, and only one angle. I think they could have done a lot better for a device they are selling for $169

flapflapflap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Thanks for the reply!

It looks like the Brydge has it's own clear plastic case to protect the back on the device and it works with their keyboard. The ASK just didn't win me over. Maybe I just expected too much. I didn't like the missing function key row, no backlight, the funky origami foolishness, and only one angle. I think they could have done a lot better for a device they are selling for $169

I previously owned the Brydge for the iPad Air 2. It will double the thickness and will make the entire setup significantly heavier. It's clean looking, but it will be thicker than the MBP-13, and heavier. The ASK is significantly lighter.

jmaluso

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2016
San Luis Obispo, CA
I previously owned the Brydge for the iPad Air 2. It will double the thickness and will make the entire setup significantly heavier. It's clean looking, but it will be thicker than the MBP-13, and heavier. The ASK is significantly lighter.

Gotcha. Then I guess after thinking it through again the weight & thickness isn't the only factor for me. I want the ability to have a laptop style experience when in bed or on the couch as well as a tablet experience. The ASK just didn't do it for me. Especially not at that price. It just wasn't stable enough in my lap or on my legs when lounging in bed or on the couch and the lack of the function keys, backlight, and multiple angles would have probably always kept me looking for something else. Maybe Logitech or Belkin will come out with something that will satisfy all of my wants before the Brydge starts shipping in April. I'm one of those people that is honestly surprised that they don't have something else out on the market yet. Even if it is just a Bluetooth offering and not Smart Connector compatible.

flapflapflap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Incredible how we have not yet seen third-party smart connecting keyboards. Maybe Apple has imposed some BS moratorium.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.