Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 16, 2015
Since iOS 10, Apple has this thing around for 3 iOS versions now. In iOS 13, I thought they might think it a bit clearer for local music library user. But no.
9EDACFB0-B309-4DA8-979C-7EE38980C1C0.jpeg

I can kinda guess “remove downloads” remove cached music on device, while “delete from library” removes local cache and delete the music from iCloud music library. But there seems to be no distinguished difference between those options. Last time I used it one option actually deleted the music stored on device, forcing me to sync again.
I have tried to grow and tolerate this newly designed music app from iOS 10. But ugh...

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I've never seen that message but I have no idea what it's asking. I can only suggest submitting feedback (or even a bug report as "enhancement suggestion") if you haven't already.

Day_

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2019
Remove downloads removes the songs from your device storage but the album/playlist will still show in your library which you can stream.

Remove from library removes it from your library and will sync across all devices and you will no longer see the album/playlist.

MLVC

macrumors demi-god
Apr 30, 2015
Maastricht, The Netherlands
Remove downloads removes the songs from your device storage but the album/playlist will still show in your library which you can stream.

Remove from library removes it from your library and will sync across all devices and you will no longer see the album/playlist.

This. I don't really see the issue here, thought the difference was rather clear.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 16, 2015

Yes. I can figure that out. But the context is these two options look super weird for people who Are still syncing music with iTunes (and a lot of them).

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
Yes. I can figure that out. But the context is these two options look super weird for people who Are still syncing music with iTunes (and a lot of them).

Pit still works for them too, as they can delete from device, rather than waiting until they sync with iTunes.

Reactions: martyjmclean

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley

The option makes more sense for people who only want to keep a portion of their iTunes library stored on a device. I mostly play everything off of my MBP. My iOS devices always just have downloads from the playlists I listen to the most.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 16, 2015
Pit still works for them too, as they can delete from device, rather than waiting until they sync with iTunes.
Users are able to delete songs directly from iPhone/iPad for a long time.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
Users are able to delete songs directly from iPhone/iPad for a long time.

Yes, I know that, you're missing what I mean though. You have the option there, and it's applicable to both types of users. I wasn't saying it's a new thing.

AMTYVLE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Florida

Also, for 'Remove from Library'...You also lose your $$$ you paid when you originally purchased the content. Which I always thought was crappy...Too bad Apple couldn't implement a system where the $$$ was put back on your iTunes balance or Apple Pay Cash card, without having to contact Apple for a refund or whatever.

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
Also, for 'Remove from Library'...You also lose your $$$ you paid when you originally purchased the content. Which I always thought was crappy...Too bad Apple couldn't implement a system where the $$$ was put back on your iTunes balance or Apple Pay Cash card, without having to contact Apple for a refund or whatever.
The music would still appear in your Purchased tab in iTunes. Purchased media is not actually lost permanently.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
this is that playlist glitch where it keeps getting duplicated. it’s super annoying. happens randomly

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
I didn’t find it difficult to distinguish the two actions...

‘Remove download’ means to remove the download of the selected item. This option only shows up when I have downloaded the content.

And ‘delete from library’ is to remove the item from your library.

Sounds pretty straightforward to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.