Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Huh? I've done this before. Yesterday I decided to totally erase my old MacBook Air 13" 2017. It came with Sierra when it was purchased. So I did the reboot "command, Option, shift, R". I erased the SSD drive and then click the Install Sierra on the Recovery screen. I get that error. I tried 3 times, I tried on another WiFi network, ethernet...but the error keeps coming up. "The installer information on the recovery server is damaged". I had to reinstall Monterey instead, but I want the old Mac to stay in 32 bit mode for old files and apps.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You can keep using 32-bit apps with either High Sierra or Mojave.
Download either of those, and make a bootable USB installer from that downloaded installer app.
Then boot to your new USB installer, erase the drive, and reinstall whatever version is on your new installer.
(You have to modify the Sierra installer to make it work, and I have misplaced the steps to do that, but a newer macOS version - older than Catalina - will keep you in the "32-bit" world. Maybe someone else will offer the mod steps to get the Sierra installer to work now, but, as I said, you don't have to stay with Sierra, just to keep your 32-bit apps.)

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
You can keep using 32-bit apps with either High Sierra or Mojave.
Download either of those, and make a bootable USB installer from that downloaded installer app.
Then boot to your new USB installer, erase the drive, and reinstall whatever version is on your new installer.
(You have to modify the Sierra installer to make it work, and I have misplaced the steps to do that, but a newer macOS version - older than Catalina - will keep you in the "32-bit" world. Maybe someone else will offer the mod steps to get the Sierra installer to work now, but, as I said, you don't have to stay with Sierra, just to keep your 32-bit apps.)
Ok so right now it's on Monterey because it wouldn't let me do anything else with Internet Recovery. Apple has that link https://support.apple.com/en-us/102662

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
I gave up. I tried Diskmaker X for Sierra and High Sierra and it would just error out. Tried the recovery boot command again and same error. I think we can no longer reinstall Sierra because I'm just following all the instructions on Apple.com and Diskmaker X site. OH well.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You have to fix the Sierra installer app to make the present one work. I don't remember what I did make mine work, but unless you must have Sierra, use High Sierra instead (or Mojave)

Use your terminal to make the bootable USB installer.
Here's some simple steps to follow, which I use multiple times a week:
Make installer bootable on flash drive:

Insert your USB flash drive (use a 16GB flash drive for this). Erase that thumb drive, using your Disk Utility. Make sure it is formatted Mac OS Extended (journaled), and the partition Map is "GUID"

The macOS installer app (Install macOS "whatever") should be in your Applications folder, but another location will be OK for creating the bootable installer that you need.

Right click on that installer app, and choose "Show Package Contents". Open the Library, then open the "Resources" folder. Leave that alone for a moment...

Launch your Terminal app, then, at the prompt, type sudo, and add a single space.

From the Resources folder that you left open, drag the file "createinstallmedia" and drop it on your terminal window. You will see the full path to that file appear next to sudo.

Next, type --volume, and add one space to that. (notice there are TWO dashes, not just one)

Now, find the icon for your flash drive (the one you just erased. Should be on your desktop somewhere). Drag that icon into the terminal window. You will see that disk, with its path, added to the line you have been typing.

AND, press enter. You will be asked to enter your admin password.

You will NOT see the password as you type (it's a security feature), just type your password, then press enter. It will work.

Finally, the terminal will ask you to press "y" to start the command that you just typed, so type Y, and press enter.

Then, you will see some numbers appear, showing the progress of the command. Some flash drives will be slow, and can take 30 minutes. It will get to 100%, then do a few final items to complete the installer and make it bootable. And, it's ready to go!
edit: I did find this link, which should help you if you still want to erase/reinstall with Sierra: https://mrmacintosh.com/fixed-an-er...the-installation-macos-sierra-recovery-error/

Last edited:
Reactions: kagharaht

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Yeah I did High Sierra also and it failed on me similar way. Weird. Oh Mr. Macintosh. I remember seeing that name around here. Ok I'm gonna try again with your information and that Site.

Haha this is what happened to me the first time I tried this and was freaking out LOL
"

You are now completely stuck.​

The worst part about this error is that you are left with out any way to recover. You just erased your disk and you don’t have USB installer."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.