Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

victry1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
NJ
Well, hubby’s iPhone 7 says “service battery”. So he has an appointment at the Apple store tomorrow. I kind of wonder if it’s worth spending the money for the battery. Wonder how long it will last. I’d like to see him with a newer phone but he doesn’t want to spend the money. Any thought?

arfbsantoso

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2019
Well, hubby’s iPhone 7 says “service battery”. So he has an appointment at the Apple store tomorrow. I kind of wonder if it’s worth spending the money for the battery. Wonder how long it will last. I’d like to see him with a newer phone but he doesn’t want to spend the money. Any thought?

Already replace my i7 battery.
Just 15 minutes waiting on independent service.
Cost: nearly 20 dollars.
(in Indonesia Rp. 260.000)

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
Certainly cheaper than upgrading to a newer phone. Still useful as a backup phone. Will be doing the same for my 6S (3rd battery) shortly even though I just bought a new iPhone 12mini as well.

Reactions: victry1

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
There's still countless iPhone 7s out in the wild that are ticking time bombs - Loop Disease will eventually kill them.
There's also others that will never develop symptoms to the manufacturing defect.
When the iPhone 7 is working properly, it's plenty good and fast. Paying for a battery replacement is a gamble. Maybe the phone will keep on going for a long time or maybe it's on its last leg. No way to know.
I have an iPhone 7 (with the disease) and I wouldn't personally invest $0.05 cents in it

mhdena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
I have a 7Plus bought 11/7/17, battery at 90%, its not my main phone at the moment as I got a 12Max in January.

No issues as mentioned above.

A battery should last well over 4 -5 years

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
iPhone7 here too
no issues as described above

genus bar replaced the battery Jan21 for $50
everything is good

steelhauler34

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2019
Absolutely 110% worth it. It’s 50 bucks...lmao. No idea where some are coming from. I wouldn’t second guess it at all as it is still a good phone and does everything the latest and greatest do. I am typing this on a 7+. I think my battery is at 86 or 87 %. I plan on putting a new battery in it probably a year or so from now.

Reactions: victry1

victry1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
NJ
There's still countless iPhone 7s out in the wild that are ticking time bombs - Loop Disease will eventually kill them.
There's also others that will never develop symptoms to the manufacturing defect.
When the iPhone 7 is working properly, it's plenty good and fast. Paying for a battery replacement is a gamble. Maybe the phone will keep on going for a long time or maybe it's on its last leg. No way to know.
I have an iPhone 7 (with the disease) and I wouldn't personally invest $0.05 cents in it
What is Loop disease?

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
LOL what the heck

a new battery is a great way to extend the life of a phone. If he’s fine with it so be it! You can always buy him a new phone if you want him to have a newer model but heck he’s certainly not looking for new.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020

Dude... my launch day iPhone 7 still works fine. In fact, all my six iPhone 7s are still works perfectly (yes, I get every single iPhone 7 color).

I never drop my phone and all of them were in case.

I brought bunch of battery from Amazon and changed battery by myself.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
iPhone 7 is in a class of it own. While it may not have features of newer iPhones it sleekness and stealth appearance is yet to be beaten
The choice is truly yours , however don’t chase features like 5G which are rare in the newer iPhones. Replacing your battery may give you time to think

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Just get a new battery. The 7 Will still be supported for another year or so. If your husband likes the phone and it fits his needs, no need to spend money on newer phone.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
iPhone 7 is in a class of it own. While it may not have features of newer iPhones it sleekness and stealth appearance is yet to be beaten
The choice is truly yours , however don’t chase features like 5G which are rare in the newer iPhones. Replacing your battery may give you time to think
Yeah, chasing 5G now is not wise. By the time 5G is commonplace, the modem at that time will be much improved from the current one as well (more efficient and less power hungry), so might as well wait it out until then.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Yeah, chasing 5G now is not wise. By the time 5G is commonplace, the modem at that time will be much improved from the current one as well (more efficient and less power hungry), so might as well wait it out until then.
I agree. I have have my 5g off. The only difference I see is when I have 5g on, my phone is warmer. so go figure. Lte is fine for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.