Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Earlet9

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Is it possible to set up an Exchange email account using a Microsoft Outlook Web Access server?

Andrmgic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Is it possible to set up an Exchange email account using a Microsoft Outlook Web Access server?

Yes. I configured mine this way. If your company doesn't have exchange 2007, the auto-discovery will fail and you'll be presented with another option.

Earlet9

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
I am a high school student and that's what my high school uses... I'm just so confused as to how to do it...

Andrmgic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
I am a high school student and that's what my high school uses... I'm just so confused as to how to do it...

On the first settings page, enter your e-mail address at the school, your school domain\username.. e.g. School\Earlet9 and your password that you use to access your mail. It will try to automatically configure exchange for you based on your e-mail address and will most likely fail.

If it fails, you'll be brought to a screen that looks like the one below

photonh2.jpg

Just fill in the server address with the url you use to access outlook web access (minus the http, etc.) enter your user name and your password and hit next. You may get warned about the server not having a certificate, just agree and it should say "verified exchange setup" or something similar and start syncing your inbox, etc.

Earlet9

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Ok, wow! Thank you! I attempted to do that earlier, but i didn't know what the server was. Attempting to get my mail online right now fails so our server must be down right now. But thank you very much for showing me how to do it.

montecarloss919

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
help

so i entered all my college info, server and all, and it get done entering it, and as i go to the home page it says wrong password for my email? any help?

Earlet9

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Make sure the email/password is correct :p

Because I'm using Exchange, does that mean they will charge me the business price?

poisonapple

macrumors member
May 7, 2008
Silicon Valley
Another thing, with regard to password. I had to set up mine using this format for my username:

domain\user

I had a coworker who set it up without the domain part and he was getting the same error (about the password failing). I told him about the domain part and he changed and bada-bing-bada-boom is started working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.