Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pi6xjdskfa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
I would like to ftp files from my phone to my laptop at home when I am out of the house. How do I set up
mac so I can use 128.283.823.12-type ftp address to send images to laptop at home? I am using FTP Server
app on app store (app developr Carol Wu) but it doesn't seem to work if I am on 5g, only when on wifi network at
home. Might only work if i am on the local network.

ifrit05

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
Near Detroit, MI. USA
FTP over your Local Area Network (LAN) will never work over WAN (Wide Area Network/Open to the internet) unless you set up a way for it to do so (Reverse Proxy/VPN). I would not recommend that as it is a major security concern if not set up properly.

Easiest way to do this is to just use iCloud or other Cloud Storage Providers.

Reactions: chabig

pi6xjdskfa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
Hi, I am using Sony ftp software for images and SFTP is not an option. Unfortunately, our company shut down FTP so I was going to have the mobile app FTP the images to my desktop via FTP then Hazel app automatically takes any incoming images(only JPG) on a watch folder and transfers them to company using SFTP connection. Being able to FTP the images to my computer is crucial part of the step. If I use the Sony Transfer and Tag app to send 5-10 selected images to iPhone FTPManager app only one image is sent via FTP to company.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
IF you have successfully configured a VPN connection in your router (probably also requires DynDNS if you do not have a static public IP at home) just a hint:
Since iOS 16 you can activate a VPN connection via 'Shortcuts.app'.
So in 'Automation' you can use opening your FTP app as a trigger to automatically activate the VPN if you are not in your home Wi-Fi. The same for disconnecting the VPN on app closing (optionally with a delay).
Assuming you have an iPhone of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.