Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Re: Cool...

Does anybody run SETI on a 700Mhz imac? How quick does it crunch a unit?

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Re: Just imagine...

I also run seti on an old 8600 mac! It takes about 39 hours to process a unit!

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Who has managed to get their new imac yet?? How fast is it on the new G4 imac to process a unit of seti?

colocolo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Santiago, Chile
I used to finish one packet in around 10-11 hours on my B&W G3 400, two years ago.. I wonder if teh information they send or the processing they are doing now has changed, that it takes so much longer?

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I think it was about 6-8 months ago they added in extra mathematical calculations that made it take longer to process the unit. You probably be able to process a unit in say 14/15 hours I would have thought.

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
10 hours average in 9.1
about 9 or so in os X

v 3.03 w/ nothing else running except for SUM 3.3 in classic

856 units completed at the time of writing, about 600 of those from this current machine, which is a dual 500 mhz G4 with a gig of ram and radeon graphix.

still trying to get the terminal one to work, but it refused the first time around....

its about 16 hours average for my B&W 400 g3 w/ 384 of ram..not run too often though

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
yay i finally got the terminal version running! :D

I used to run it all day when i was at school...now my comp it on 24hr/day and when I'm not using it its running seti.
and actually its more like 9,000 hours :D....I used to run it on a 233 g3 that took a day a unit

748s

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2001
Tiger Bay
finally got around to running seti as blank screen overnight. on the 867 g4 i was getting 14 to 19 hours letting it run randomly. turned off the screen saver, set hd to never spin down. seti to fire up into screensaver mode after 1 minute then blank screen after 2 minutes. best was 7 hours 7 mins worst 8 hours 30 min. huge improvement.

GetSome681

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2002
Originally posted by Falleron
As much as I like the ibook I am not very impressed at how long it takes to process a unit! Is this to do with the mac version of seti, I cant believe that the mac is slower than pc's!! Afterall, a v.good time for a desktop should be around 10 hours!

The mac hasn't always been slower. I remember first going to college over 2 years ago, and all these PC big-wigs with their super PCs they all built and swore were the best, and then my G4 400 which was on average 300 MHz slower than their beasts would TEAR THEM APART. I think my average time was less than 6 hrs, and they were stuck at 10 hrs running so many optimizations that they couldn't touch their computer at all. I stopped doing SETI when they started changing the mac version...don't know why...or what happened..but it used to be much faster....just thought I'd chime in..

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
They got slower as they added different mathematical functions to both pc + mac version. The original G4 was a very good chip but since then Motorola has added pipeline stages just to get the Mhz up without increasing the actual performance up much!! At the moment I am using a 1Ghz DP and I send a unit back roughly every 3 hours.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Different Units...

There has to be something different about the chunks they are sending now or how or when the chunks are processed.

A couple of years ago I was getting something like 13-15 times per chunk on an old G3 300MHz (Beige). There's no way that Macs have gotten slower, so something has to be different.

1) Maybe the chunks are bigger.

2) Maybe it works even while other things are eating the processor (older versions would run only in screensaver mode--nothing else would be running).

I don't think the program has gotten slower, either. Its got to be one of the two reasons above.

Matthew

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
I'm quite happy with how fast it takes my iBook to process a seti unit. Under OS X, with Folding@Home, Terminal Tasks, iTunes, Word and some other stuff running, it took about 25 hrs a packet. Considering how much stuff i've got running, that's pretty good. My AMD Duron doing *just* folding + seti takes over twice as long. The Terminal version of Seti@Home on OS X runs **much** faster than the carbon app.

I'd also like to point out that SETI is just as useful for benchmarking as Photoshop is... So don't take the results **too seriously**

Out of interest, does anyone have any results for a dual GHz PM? And when someone gets a rackmount server, plz post results!!!

...And we'll kick all those PC ppl's asses once we have our G5... even when AMD brings out their 64-bit processors.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
My seti has been all over the place. I left it alone and it did a unit in just over 15 hours - that's on a 450 G4. Not too bad.

U

Unregistered

First, my benchmarks: on iMac rev.B (G3 233MHz, 64M RAM, OS 9.2) average: 28 hours, fastest 5 min, lowest 35 hours.
For statistical reasons, you need at least 100 work units to get an average time as SETI drops very quickly uninteresting WUs but more interesting ones are treated thoroughly (and then it takes longer time for processing). on SETI 2, average time was 15 hours. Next version of SETI will introduce new calculations and it will take longer for processing on TODAY hardware but about the same on FUTURE ones. (like my iMac with SETI 2 was about the same level as G4's with SETI 3). When you look at people with very short process times in the users list, they use a lot of different computers under the same account (and they don't have any secret supercomputers!) people having 10 000+ WUs have well over 20 computers crunching data)
Just my $0.02....

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
Re: Benchmarks

Originally posted by Macmaniac
I am 32% through and it has taken 7 hours, I guess it will take 21 hours for a unit. I am running a 700mhz G3 iMac on OS X. Is there any way I can make it go faster? 21 hours seems slow for a 700mhz G3.

it does seem kinda slow. my experience with seti is that it speeds up and slows down, so that 21 hr estimate might not be actually correct. if you're using the GUI version (with all the pretty graphs), you will find that the terminal text only version will run a lot faster...

Hey, when someone gets an xserve (what -- they arrive in june, don't they?) plz post a benchmark here, i'd be really interested.

agent302

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2001
It seems to take my Powerbook 667 (DVI) about 10:30-11 hours to process a unit, which is much improved over the 17 hour average that my iMac DV 400 was pulling. This is all with the command line version of seti. Only problem is, seti is one of the few things that makes the second stage of the fan come on, so I don't do it while sleeping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.