Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Is there some secret behind crunching units? I see people with 'Years' Of processor CPU time, sure some one you can use many computers but sheech.
My question is there anyway to speed it up? I mean for some people it take 12-16 hours, mine too 18. Aw, it took very long on my 800 MHZ iMac, why?
I know not all of you have insane 1.25 dual on you hands.
BTW, during SETI being on for 18 hours the biggest processor related thing I did was lanch IE, so I know its not like I'm running WCIII, iTunes, IE and SETI all at the same time...
any help?

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Re: Seti

Originally posted by MrMacman
Is there some secret behind crunching units? I see people with 'Years' Of processor CPU time, sure some one you can use many computers but sheech.
My question is there anyway to speed it up? I mean for some people it take 12-16 hours, mine too 18. Aw, it took very long on my 800 MHZ iMac, why?
I know not all of you have insane 1.25 dual on you hands.
BTW, during SETI being on for 18 hours the biggest processor related thing I did was lanch IE, so I know its not like I'm running WCIII, iTunes, IE and SETI all at the same time...
any help?
Which OS are you using? OS9 or OSX?? If you are using OSX, you can use the Command line version which will knock about 2/3 hours off your processing times.

NB. My 1Ghz G4 will complete a unit in about 6 and a half hours (using the command line version)

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Re: Re: Seti

Originally posted by Falleron

Which OS are you using? OS9 or OSX?? If you are using OSX, you can use the Command line version which will knock about 2/3 hours off your processing times.

NB. My 1Ghz G4 will complete a unit in about 6 and a half hours (using the command line version)
I tryied the command vesion one but I can't tell how far it is done and it just doesn't either word or work well, I know its no client, but really, I tried opening the stats info and it failed to load. eh...
Tell me what I'm doing wrong..

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Re: Re: Re: Seti

Originally posted by MrMacman

I tryied the command vesion one but I can't tell how far it is done and it just doesn't either word or work well, I know its no client, but really, I tried opening the stats info and it failed to load. eh...
Tell me what I'm doing wrong..
Install the command line version + then go to: http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/

Search For "SETICNTL". This will let you monitor the progress of your Command line version.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I suspect that the people who have years of CPU time are those who have more than one computer at their disposal, e.g., a computer lab where all the machines work on SETI and credit their units to the same user name.

On a dual processor Power Mac, you can get the most bang for your buck by running two copies of the SETI command-line client at once. The dual processor 1.25GHz G4 can do two units at once in about 6 hours, meaning about 8 units every 24 hours.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by Doctor Q
I suspect that the people who have years of CPU time are those who have more than one computer at their disposal, e.g., a computer lab where all the machines work on SETI and credit their units to the same user name.

On a dual processor Power Mac, you can get the most bang for your buck by running two copies of the SETI command-line client at once. The dual processor 1.25GHz G4 can do two units at once in about 6 hours, meaning about 8 units every 24 hours.

Ah... like you I presume? :D

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Yup, that's the model I have and the results I get. I wrote my own half-baked shell script to monitor the processes as they run. If you don't use SETICNTL or a similar high-level program, you can use a simple grep command to find out the progress (e.g., 42.7985474%) of SETI running the CLI version because all of its status information is kept in readable text files and updated as SETI processes each unit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.