Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

culverh0use

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
I was reading over John Gruber's thoughts on the keynote today, and he said that you can now make third party messaging apps the default for a particular contact if you want. So if I always message a certain contact through Hangouts instead of iMessage, how do I set that up? I haven't been able to figure it out. I'd also like to make Skype the default way to call a contact if that is possible.

Quoted from him:

"Likewise, third-party messaging apps can be specified as the default for people on a per-contact basis."

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
It's a new API that the app developer will have to implement... You won't see any of that kind of stuff until the final release.

Reactions: mattoligy

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
That's the phone/messaging in terms of the contact. They showed a bit in the presentation- call directly with Skype from the contact or message with Whatsapp. They are opening phone/messages to developers.

My speculation is that Apple will NOT allow you to replace default apps. They are separated into the App store so they can be updated independent of an OS update (which you needed a full OS update to update any of the built in apps before)

Reactions: longdogs

culverh0use

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
So do developers have to update their apps to iOS 10 before this functionality will work?

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
A little bit of common sense here from Apple would of been nice. If they let us DELETE DEFAULT APPS, then they should allow us to replace those default apps too.

Reactions: longdogs and Armen

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
A little bit of common sense here from Apple would of been nice. If they let us DELETE DEFAULT APPS, then they should allow us to replace those default apps too.

They are allowing you to do this.

The issue, is that without developer's updating their apps first, iOS would have no way of understanding which app is a "phone" app vs. a game. Therefore, without developer action, you would select Angry Birds as your phone methodology of contacting a given contact ... that wouldn't work.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
You rush to judge on a beta build of the OS. I'm sure they will have a way to fill in for default Apps.

Hopefully Inbox will support this soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.