Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Hey everyone, I'm trying to get my Earpods' microphone to work with my Mac Pro in Windows 7.

Usually with a normal Windows PC in the Recording Devices tab in the sounds menu you get 'Microphone', along with 'Line In' & the rest (as there is usually 6 colour coded audio ports on the rear of most PC's).

However the Mac Pro is different (see pic below). All the Mac Pro has (analog-wise) is one audio out & one weird combo deal for audio in.

As you can see whenever I plug the EarPods into that combo-audio in port only Line-In appears, which obviously doesn't help my cause & doesn't recognize that a microphone is plugged in.

Do I have to download another driver for the Microphone tab to come up or will I have to go out & buy a USB mic?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    33.6 KB · Views: 258
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    793.7 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:

Guiyon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2008
Cambridge, MA
The Mac Pro does not have a microphone in port, only line in. If you wish to use an unpowered microphone, you will need a pre-amp to use the Line In or you can purchase a USB DAC with a mic in.

Last edited:

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
The Mac Pro does not have a microphone in port, only line in. If you wish to use an unpowered microphone, you will need a pre-amp to use the Line In or you can purchase USB DAC with a mic in.

I was afraid you were going to say that.

Thanks for the reply.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
A very belated reply.. the port /does/ support headset microphone.. but for some unknown reason apple refuse to support it in windows, only OS X. This seems to apply to all macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.