Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stuart Brodie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2020
Glasgow, Scotland
Hi,

Is it possible to set up Outlook for Mac as my default mail client without opening mac mail?

For example, when I click on an email address online I would like to automatically open Outlook for Mac rather trying to reopen mac mail?

Thanks!

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
I think OP realizes that since he referenced the requirement in his post...
Now, I am not sure why you would not want to just open Mail once to set it, but I assume he has his reasons.

or I am misreading the OP... but yes, @Erehy Dobon is correct. You open Mail, open Prefs > General and set your preferred client there. Then you need never open Mail again.

Reactions: Stuart Brodie

Stuart Brodie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2020
Glasgow, Scotland
Thanks Erehy Dobon for your help - very much appreciated.

Barbu, the reason I can't open Mail is because it causes my mac to crash - tried multiple solution but nothing seems to solve the issue. Hence the reason for moving onto Outlook.
How would you suggest editing the plist? Thank you

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
If Mail insists on crashing for you, you could trash its preferences and try again. If you are on Catalina, you can trash the entire com.apple.mail folder under ~/Library/Containers as well as ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail-shared.plist.
Then try opening mail.
Sorry if you have tried this already but it shouldn't be too hard to get Mail to open.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.