Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G5Unit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 3, 2005
I'm calling the cops
I have a PowerMac G5 and I NEEEEEEED more space (80gb).

Anyways, I have thought up some ways I could spend my money:

-80gb(current) for a boot drive and I have everything else(movies, music, photo) on an internal 300gb

-Trash the 80gb and get a 36 gb 10,000 rpm boot drive to put my MAIN apps on, plus get an internal 300gb

-80gb(current) for a boot drive and I have everything else(movies, music, photo) on an EXTERNAL 300gb

-Trash the 80gb and get a 36 gb 10,000 rpm boot drive to put my MAIN apps on, plus get an EXTERNAL 300gb

I have no knowledge of what RAID is and if I need it, please tell. I mainly listen to music, work with photos, and work with music, and maybe the occasional gaming. What would be the most cost efficient config? Not really on a specified budget.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
No offense, but I really can't see a 14 year old needing a 10,000 RPM drive. It's also not worth it to have to pay for it over your current hard drive. I'd definitely recommend keeping the 80GB for OS/Apps and getting the 300GB internally. If you have a place to put a Hard drive internally, it almost always makes more sense to put it inside the computer. It's faster, and you don't have to pay for an enclosure.

Zman5225

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Tacoma WA
I would get a 250-300gb hd, seagate or hitachi, shoot for 7200rpm, and 16mb cache if you can find a good deal on one. I'd rather have mine inside my case as to not clutter my desk anymore, but I guess that would have to be a personal preference to you.

Check techbargains.com and the hardocp forums for deals on HD's, as they have them there daily it seems.

Hope that helps some.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.