Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iWoz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
East Midlands, U.K
Hi,

Well Mobileme states..

Add Personal Domain

Before your iWeb site can be viewed at your personal domain, you must complete the following steps:
Go to your registrar's website. Define web.me.com as the "www" CNAME (alias) for your domain.

If you need help creating a CNAME, contact your registrar.
Return to this page and click Done.

Your registrar can take up to 48 hours to update your domain

Now I went into my Verio control panel to do this and have the following:

website.png

I forgot to add it does give me an option at the bottom to add more. However I get this error message..

Please correct the following errors and resubmit.
Bad record:http://www.giftwrappedmemories.com. 8640 IN CNAME web.me.com.giftwrappedmemories.com. Invalid CNAME
Bad record:giftwrappedmemories.com. 8640 IN CNAME web.me.com.giftwrappedmemories.com. Invalid CNAME

Can someone tell me which one I need to change exactly?

Many Thanks

Sonicjay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
take .giftwrappedmemories.com off the end of web.me.com in both CNAME entries

iWoz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
East Midlands, U.K
I received an error message when doing that so I contacted Verio who informed me they cant actually do that unless I have the nameservers for Mobileme. So I have now transferred my domain to godaddy who i believe can do it using "CNAME" Just have to wait for 60 days now :(

paulbeattie87

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2008
North East Scotland
Hmm thats strange iWoz. A CNAME or Canonical Name is basically a redirect, when a computer does a look-up on http://www.giftwrappedmemories.com it will be returned a text based address rather than an IP. The text entry in this case returned is web.me.com, the computer will then look-up web.me.com and I should imagine gets an IP back this time.

Asking for NS or Name Servers means that all DNS management would be provided via MobileMe, this is not the case. I cant understand why they would have told you this, most hosting packages prefer to point to their name servers but it's not a requirement by any means.

Post back if you don't have any luck with GoDaddy, it really is a simple procedure.

Sonicjay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
I received an error message when doing that so I contacted Verio who informed me they cant actually do that unless I have the nameservers for Mobileme. So I have now transferred my domain to godaddy who i believe can do it using "CNAME" Just have to wait for 60 days now :(

60 days?? For what?

heather e

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2010
same problem

Hi all.

I'm having the same problem described by iWoz. I am using Verio. Unlike iWoz's experience, when I called tech support they didn't tell me that what I'm trying to do is impossible -- they explained me to me how to enter web.me.com as a CNAME in my DNS control panel. I've now done that, or tried to do it, repeatedly; I'm entering "web.me.com." as they instruct (that is, using a period at the end of the name). And I get the same error message that iWoz got. Apple says it's Verio's problem; Verio says the CNAME that Apple gave me (us) is invalid. Aside from switching to GoDaddy, which I gather solved iWoz's problem, can anyone offer a solution?

Thanks
Heather

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.