Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apulse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2017
Hey I'm a noob to all of this. Any help is really appreciated.

I want to connect all of my gear to a MacBook Pro 15" (soon to be purchased) for use with Logic for audio/midi recording, and Mainstage for live performance.

I have the following hardware:
Yamaha MOXF6 keyboard (MIDI I/O/Thru, USB)
Roland RD2000 stage piano (MIDI I/O/Thru, USB)
old Yamaha PSR730 keyboard (MIDI I/O, mini DIN 8-pin out)
old Yamaha RX11 digital rhythm programmer (MIDI I/O)
Yamaha StagePas 500 p.a. system
Zoom R8 digital recorder/interface (2 combo XLR/1/4" inputs, USB)

I have been looking at USB/audio/MIDI interfaces for connection to the MacBook, but it looks like it could cost a fortune to get something to cable everything at once and leave it (preferable).

The other option is a powered mixer with interface capability, but can't find anything with MIDI. Do I need MIDI? Could the mixer/interface do double duty, as an interface with the computer for recording, and as a mixer for live performance (powering the StagePas speakers and/or providing outs to the main p.a.)?

It would be nice to connect the RX11 with its 10 individual outputs so each drum sound can be recorded, processed and mixed separately.

I currently have the MOXF6 and RD2000 midi’d together for live performance, and would probably want this capability for recording too.

What's the best way to make all this work with the MacBook Pro for both recording and "live", getting the best bang for bucks, the least amount of compatibility issues/glitches, the least amount of additional hardware items and the best sound/recording quality?

I know, it's a lot to ask, but what's possible?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.