Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

incoherent_1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2016
I've just changed houses and am having trouble connecting my QNAP NAS to my home network. I'm using an Eero WiFi network, but I can't place the QNAP next to the Eero and plug it in directly (no room).

The internet comes via GPON (fiber), then goes into an access point, which, in turn, is plugged into the Eero Pro via Ethernet.

Thankfully, the house is wired with Ethernet, but I can't figure out how to get the NAS onto the network. I've tried using a Cat5 cable to link Eero -> Home Network ethernet port in hopes that the Eero could connect to the house's wired network and access the NAS in the other room and bring it into the network. Next to the access point are about 3 ethernet ports labeled D1-D3 -- it's plugged into one of those. DHCP is enabled on the NAS.

Do I need to have an Ethernet switch between the Eero Pro and the home network or I can I achieve my goal but rewiring my current setup?

I’m also assuming I can buy another Eero Pro and put it in the other room with the NAS, but that seems silly if I have a perfectly good wired network already in place.

I know the NAS is working fine because 1) I used it in my last house just fine and 2) I can plug it directly into my MBP via an Ethernet -> USB C dongle and everything works great (except I need all devices on the network to be able to see the NAS so I can use iTunes, setup an XBMC server for my Apple TV, etc. etc.)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.