Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
I just bought a standard Mac Mini M2 8/256 and will set it up next week (I ordered a monitor, wired keyboard, wired mouse and they will arrive next week).

I'm trying to map out the best way to set up the mini, and it looks pretty straightforward, but there's one thing that confuses me.

I intend to use this Mac Mini _exclusively_ as a server for basically 4 things: (1) Music server to be triggered by WiFi from my MBA and iPad (2) Destination for my MBA's Time Machine backups - and external ssd connected to the mini (3)To run qBittorent from the mini (4) Drop random files from my MBA to the mini for longer term storage - external hdds connected to the mini.

With this use case scenario in mind, when setting up the mini, my idea was to run an ethernet cable from the mini to my router but then ALSO turn on WiFi on the mini. The idea being that it's more stable and faster to run an ethernet connection for qBittorrent+VPN which can run for hours, while obviously, I still need the WiFi to run as a server and connect to my MBA.

Question 1: Is this idea of ethernet+WiFi right, or am I completely wrong and it makes no difference, and there is no advantage or point in running qBittorrent through an ethernet connection, and I should not bother with it and just run the mini entirely through WiFi?

Question 2: I read in one of the MR threads that if you run both ethernet and WiFi, you will be assigned TWO MAC addresses, one for ethernet and one for WiFi - is that true?

Question 3: Is there any danger of interference or complications in doing the things I outlined above (1-4 points) in having the mini connect to the internet through both ethernet and WiFi, and it's better to just do everything with WiFi? I read also on some MR threads where folks were having issues with running both ethernet+WiFi in Sonoma. IS IT SAFE? (this is a movie reference from "Marathon Man").

Thank you!

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Question 1: Is this idea of ethernet+WiFi right, or am I completely wrong and it makes no difference, and there is no advantage or point in running qBittorrent through an ethernet connection, and I should not bother with it and just run the mini entirely through WiFi?
How fast is your internet service? Your devices will only connect to site/services on the internet at the speed of your internet service. As for wi-fi + ethernet.. if mini connected via ethernet to router, you can turn off wi-fi. mini will be just a wired client on the same network as your wireless clients, i.e. they can talk to each other.
Question 2: I read in one of the MR threads that if you run both ethernet and WiFi, you will be assigned TWO MAC addresses, one for ethernet and one for WiFi - is that true?
Yes. Each network adapter, physical or virtual, has a unique MAC address.
Question 3: Is there any danger of interference or complications in doing the things I outlined above (1-4 points) in having the mini connect to the internet through both ethernet and WiFi, and it's better to just do everything with WiFi? I read also on some MR threads where folks were having issues with running both ethernet+WiFi in Sonoma. IS IT SAFE?
As mentioned before, using wired is just as good as wi-fi, or vice versa. Having both enabled can confuse some software but for the most part it is basically redundant to enable both. Every network client talks to the router via a network adapter. No need for more than one for your use case.

Added: To be honest, I'm simplifying my answers. The topic of home networking performance, especially wireless networking performance, gets complicated quickly. I'm not going to bore you w/ technical minutia.

Last edited:

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Thank you, Bigwaff!

I just tested my internet speed (so as not to rely on AT&T claims): 306.4 download, and 416.9 upload, with latency 7ms - I tested this on my wifi MBA M2. Confusingly, I also tested using fast.com and they give me different results:

"Your internet speed is 320 Mbps. Latency unloaded - 5ms; Loaded - 86ms. Upload speed - 1.1 Gbps." Is this fast? I'm on AT&T fiber.

And given what you said, I guess this means that either just ethernet, or just wifi or both will work with my scenario. Sounds excellent! I guess for the sake of simplicity, I'll just pick one for the mini, maybe the ethernet.

Thank you again, Bigwaff, this was extremely helpful!

Reactions: splifingate

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
I'm using ATT 1G Fiber (with two UniFi Nano UFOs serving the wireless), and have always enabled Ethernet+WIFI with no discernible complications. 2015 MBP, MP 5,1 or (now) Mac Studio seamless blend the ether/wifi when connected.

Always two MAC Addys, and two IPs.

I always get a varying range of down-/up-load results. But--on-average--I get about 900+ Mbps on Ethernet, and 500Mbps on WIFI.

I don't really (consciously) think about the details of such things, unless my fiber OLT loses power (which it rarely does while on battery backup).

The only device that does not like the WIFI in my house is my Honeywell Tuxedo Touch alarm pad . . . I have decided to have it connected exclusively via Ethernet..

Things just Work ;)

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
seems to me ethernet interferes with :apple: airplay too much, especially with home pods.
therefore the Mac mini m1 is wifi only and gets great internet in and out!

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
I set up the mini on my home network connected to the router only through ethernet. Worked fine. But I soon discovered a reason why you might want wifi anyway (or just wifi, period) - AirDrop. I use AirDrop between my MBA and the mini quite frequently, and it says it needs wifi, so I had to turn it on. Makes me wonder whether I should therefore switch to only wifi, or just keep going with both. Live and learn, I guess I'll see if eventually my use case has me pick a particular direction.

Reactions: splifingate

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
WIFI and Ethernet is critical to my whole-home Experience.

I have multiple AAPL Units running (at various stages of their Lifespans), and all are connected via WIFI and (when necess.) Ether.

I use Ubiquity products for my WIFE (the lingo of which (between I and my Guatamalan co-worker), I will save, for another day), and I find WIFI to be quite necessary.

My legacy is hard-wired ether; but I have adapted, over the years.

No need to be afeared' of one, or the other. Let it all rip, Brother :)

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
I still need the WiFi to run as a server and connect to my MBA.
I don't believe that's true.

All of your wired devices should be visible on your wifi unless there's some artificial separation going on. Edit: Just noticed that @Bigwaff already said the same thing.

Like it's called "AirPlay", but it is i no way dependent on having a wireless connection. It requires a LAN to work, and that's it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.