Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

El_12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2024
I love going out on walks without my phone, but I have an issue when it comes to getting audio to my Airpods from the watch.

The watch "loves" playing to the iPhone via airplay and my earbuds do not show up as an optional audio output. When I walk away from my phone the audio often just stops and I cannot "see" the earbuds as an option to connect to. I have tried to unpair/pair them several times.

Any settings that can help me make this work better?

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
On Apple Watch, open the Settings app , then tap Bluetooth. Tap your AirPods on the Bluetooth screen to connect. If you're trying to pair AirPods Max but don't see your device in the list, press and hold the noise control button for about 5 seconds, or until the light flashes white.
1712666797815.png

https://support.apple.com › web

Pair AirPods with an Apple device

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
Also, for those who primarily use their watch there is also a setting not to automatically switch connection to iPhone.
Bluetooth -> AirPods -> Connect to This iPhone.

Reactions: JonnyMacx86

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
The watch "loves" playing to the iPhone via airplay

It's not airplaying, typically the watch is functioning as a remote for the player in the phone.
So you've never actually started playback on the watch, your watch is just telling your phone to play to your AirPods. so when you walk away from the phone, both the remote on the watch, and the music in your AirPods loose connection to the phone.

what app / service are you listening to?
Different apps have different levels of support on the watch.

mcvaughan

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2007
Houston, TX
It’s been a problem for a long time now. About 1/3 of the time my AirPods are not seen by the watch. Only a reboot of the watch fixes it. Very frustrating when you’re all psyched for a run but have to delay to reboot the damn watch, which isn’t a quick process!

Reactions: El_12
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.