Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mitstoshi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
Try to setup my first new iPhone 11 using iPad (9th generation) per Apple's quick restore method. Will there be problems restoring from iPad to iPhone? I restored from old iPad Air to setup new iPad (9th generation) without problems. Do I have to setup iPhone manually? Any idea?

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Did this yesterday. And I’ve done this a number of times. Do make sure your iCloud backup is current. I had a couple apps I hhatd to download. Piece of cake.

mitstoshi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
Thanks everyone! I got an unlocked iPhone 11 to have a third party cell service provider. My question now is do I restore first then have a provider or vice versa? Or it doesn't matter!

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
An iPhone can be set up without a SIM card or e-sim but it’ll need to connect to Wi-Fi to talk to Apple.

Once it’s setup how you like then you can pick & choose your cell service provider

mitstoshi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
It makes sense that setup from Apple first then select cell service provider as you suggested. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.