Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phl92

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2020
I try to get better with windows management and general workflow in MacOS.
When I code on my small 13" Macbook Air I need to be efficient where to put my IDE, my terminals, my Notes, and my Browser.
I find it quite handy to use 2 Desktops for this, which I create with Mission Control.
Ok. so when everything is set up, I have one Desktop (let's call it Desktop 1) where my Safari Browser with my Notes are placed next to each other (NOT in Fullscreen Mode, but next to each with Stage modus on) and on the other Desktop (Desktop 2) my IDE and the terminal (also not FULL screen modus, but placed so that my IDE is taking almost all place, with a little space at the bottom for my terminal window).

So, I switch inbetween my desktops usually with my Trackpad, moving 4 fingers to left or right. This works fine and smooth.
However I am much more used in general to use Cmd + Tab to get around my Apps.
Now, when my setup is like above and I switch from Desktop 1 to an App which is on Desktop 2 active my Macbook is not reacting.
Just nothing happens!??!
Is this a bug? I mean it should work either way, no?!?

edit: please let me know if my question is unclear

Last edited:

phl92

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2020
I guess I have some options/settings which prevent having both options available ? (Switching desktops with 4finger swish and Cmd+Tab).
No one else can relate to that or maybe my text is unclear (sorry I am not native in English)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.