Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lira

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2020
Hi everyone
I'm a bit desperate and hope one of you might know why my macbook is behaving so strange!
I have an old Mac Book (from 2009 running with El capitan that has been working perfectly therefore I keep on postponing purchasing a newer model).
A few weeks ago I bought an external monitor, and since I couldn't see the maximum resolution in the dropdown list, I pressed the "Option" key (I read that it's the only way to see hidden resolutions in Macs). This didn't work at all. Anyway, shortly after I noticed that the keyboard started typing symbols (as if I had the Option key activated all the time). I tried reseting the keyboard, this worked in the beginning but then it didn't anymore. But this was not the only problem. The finder window looks different; everytime I open a link on a browser (doesn't matter which one) the system automatically downloads a file and doen't open. to open a website I have to right click on the link and open in a separate tab. When closing programmes I know have the option to close and save window (super weird). I have no idea what is going on. It seems like the commands are all mixed!
The only thing that worked until now was to reinstall El Capitan but the same problem just hapenned yesterday again (for the 3rd time) and reinstalling it this time didn't change anything.

If this means that my old Mac has finally reached it's limit, fine. I just wanted to be sure that it is not just something I did and that can be undone.

By the way, the keyboard was replaced more than a year ago so that should not be the issue.

thank you so much for your help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.