Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zevrix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
Sonoma introduced a severe bug that affects all apps:

If you trigger a Save dialog one way or another, the app's icon starts bouncing in the Dock and the app isn't the frontmost process anymore. That is, it doesn't respond to keyboard until you manually bring the app back into focus by either clicking the Save dialog, app window, or the app icon in the Dock.

The same issue also happens when calling the Open dialog (in which case the icon doesn't bounce in some apps, but the app is still not responding to keyboard until you bring it back to front manually).

The bug prevents users from performing regular operations related to saving/opening documents such as specifying the file name, or cancelling the dialog etc.

The bug is still there in beta 3.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016

If you trigger a Save dialog one way or another, the app's icon starts bouncing in the Dock and the app isn't the frontmost process anymore. That is, it doesn't respond to keyboard until you manually bring the app back into focus by either clicking the Save dialog, app window, or the app icon in the Dock.

The same issue also happens when calling the Open dialog (in which case the icon doesn't bounce in some apps, but the app is still not responding to keyboard until you bring it back to front manually).

The bug prevents users from performing regular operations related to saving/opening documents such as specifying the file name, or cancelling the dialog etc.

I noticed that, if we're talking about the same bug. It made inserting emojis from the picker a pain. Sometimes it doesn't interrupt, in rare occasions though. It's annoying.

It seems like Apple has a hidden lock screen window that keeps taking over the first index cycle as well, not sure if that's the cause.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Odd. I'm not experiencing that at all on my end. I installed the very first developer beta and updated subsequently, up to the most recent version (the updated version from Monday, I believe), and don't have that issue.

Opening the Save As dialog, or Open dialog, in Preview/TextEdit does not trigger that issue. Focus is not stolen. It works perfectly fine.

Is there a specific application where you're experiencing that problem?

Reactions: fisherking

zevrix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
Odd. I'm not experiencing that at all on my end...

Is there a specific application where you're experiencing that problem?

Interesting...

On my MBP M1 Pro 16" it affects ALL apps regardless of the maker (Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and everything else).

The bug existed in beta 2 and I especially waited to update to beta 3 to see if it's fixed. Like I mentioned, it's still there.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Interesting...

On my MBP M1 Pro 16" it affects ALL apps regardless of the maker (Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and everything else).

The bug existed in beta 2 and I especially waited to update to beta 3 to see if it's fixed. Like I mentioned, it's still there.
it's not being reported here, so... something with your setup. what mac are you on?

check your settings, re: stage manager, mission control, etc. perhaps something there.

or try creating a 'test admin' account, see if it happens there (this will let you know if it's related to your specific account, or is a 'global' issue).

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
it's not being reported here, so... something with your setup. what mac are you on?

check your settings, re: stage manager, mission control, etc. perhaps something there.

or try creating a 'test admin' account, see if it happens there (this will let you know if it's related to your specific account, or is a 'global' issue).
Do you personally experience this yourself, if you're running the Sonoma beta? Curious.

zevrix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
or try creating a 'test admin' account, see if it happens there

Thanks, that's a good suggestion (I always advise my customers to do just that...)

After creating a clean user account, I suspect that the culprit is Adobe Creative Cloud (although I'm not yet certain).

Here's what I experienced:

After I switched to the clean new account, the problem was NOT there: Save/Open dialogs behaved normally as expected.

However, after I launched the Adobe Creative Cloud app the bug immediately returned (as described in my original post).

The bug never went away after that - even after I killed all processes that contained the strings "adobe" and "creative" in Activity Monitor.

So it's either Creative Cloud is causing it - or it's a coincidence and launching Creative Cloud triggers some hidden bug that can potentially be also triggered by other events.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Thanks, that's a good suggestion (I always advise my customers to do just that...)

After creating a clean user account, I suspect that the culprit is Adobe Creative Cloud (although I'm not yet certain).

Here's what I experienced:

After I switched to the clean new account, the problem was NOT there: Save/Open dialogs behaved normally as expected.

However, after I launched the Adobe Creative Cloud app the bug immediately returned (as described in my original post).

The bug never went away after that - even after I killed all processes that contained the strings "adobe" and "creative" in Activity Monitor.

So it's either Creative Cloud is causing it - or it's a coincidence and launching Creative Cloud triggers some hidden bug that can potentially be also triggered by other events.
hmm, would be good to hear from other CC users. hope u get it sorted sooner than later... 👍

KibJ

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2019
hmm, would be good to hear from other CC users. hope u get it sorted sooner than later... 👍
Not sure it has anything to do with CC, I have no CC applications on my Mac and I have the same bug.

As soon as I trigger an open or save the app loses focus and starts bouncing in the dock.

I'll make a feedback report to Apple about it.

Reactions: BenjipNZ and zevrix

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Not sure it has anything to do with CC, I have no CC applications on my Mac and I have the same bug.

As soon as I trigger an open or save the app loses focus and starts bouncing in the dock.

I'll make a feedback report to Apple about it.
i would, as i suggested earlier, check settings for things like mission control, stage manager....

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008

I’ve been having this issue when bouncing tracks in Logic Pro. Pain in the butt!

KibJ

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2019
I’ve been having this issue when bouncing tracks in Logic Pro. Pain in the butt!
Do you all have ContextMenu installed?

That's what is causing it for me, disabled the finder extension of ContextMenu and the issue has gone away.

Last edited:
Reactions: twanj

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Do you all have ContextMenu installed?

That's what is causing it for me, disabled the finder extension of ContextMenu and the issue has gone away.
I do not, but that app looks handy. I’ve honestly got a lot installed, but who knows what’s causing it. Maybe after beta 4 this week we’ll have a bunch of new issues.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

KibJ

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2019
I do not, but that app looks handy. I’ve honestly got a lot installed, but who knows what’s causing it. Maybe after beta 4 this week we’ll have a bunch of new issues.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Do you have any other apps that have finder extensions? It's possibly a bug with finder extensions.

Reactions: gank41

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Do you have any other apps that have finder extensions? It's possibly a bug with finder extensions.
Just OneDrive and a few Shortcuts I had setup. At this stage in the beta process, it's normal to expect odd issues like this. It's hard to know if it's an OS issue, an App issue, or an App related beta OS issue.. Everything can change with the next update. BUT, usually around beta 4 is when the UI gets shored up and most of the layout gets finalized. It's not really until beta 5-6 that we'll start seeing app updates and beta app updates for fixes related to Sonoma. And that's pretty soon!

KibJ

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2019
So I've opened feedback about this, it appears to be a bug with finder extensions; it's strange that it happens with some extensions but not others.

As soon as you open the save/open dialogue ContextMenu/New File Menu Lite takes focus.

I installed New File Menu Lite at the request of the ContextMenu developer and the issue occurs immediately with this extension too.

If you have ContextMenu installed you can add the new Quick Actions instead of the finder extension, to work around this issue.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Strange that this issue, to me at least, occurs even when apps are in Full Screen mode, if this is a Finder/Extension issue. Like I posted earlier, when I bounce tracks in Logic Pro and the Save dialogue box comes up.. No matter what I click on, nothing comes back into focus for me to type. But if I swipe up for Mission Control and then swipe back to Logic Pro, I'm able to click on the text field and type normally.

This is just one example, though. Has happened with other apps, too. It's just the most annoying with Logic Pro for me. I see this with Mail and Safari and Books.. Pretty much a "random" issue that occurs during whatever App is open at the time. Was hoping to see another macOS Sonoma Beta this week that might have addressed it. Have to wait until next week, I guess.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Strange that this issue, to me at least, occurs even when apps are in Full Screen mode, if this is a Finder/Extension issue. Like I posted earlier, when I bounce tracks in Logic Pro and the Save dialogue box comes up.. No matter what I click on, nothing comes back into focus for me to type. But if I swipe up for Mission Control and then swipe back to Logic Pro, I'm able to click on the text field and type normally.

This is just one example, though. Has happened with other apps, too. It's just the most annoying with Logic Pro for me. I see this with Mail and Safari and Books.. Pretty much a "random" issue that occurs during whatever App is open at the time. Was hoping to see another macOS Sonoma Beta this week that might have addressed it. Have to wait until next week, I guess.
not having any such issue with logic pro... or any other apps, on either of my macs...

clingfreeze

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
Same. It's annoying, hinders the workflow. Save Dialog, and Emojis. I hope it will be addressed in the next Beta. On a sidenote, on the login screen, when I have to fill in the password to login, in most cases, the info panel of my monitor covers the login form. Maybe Apple changes their mind to put the login form back to the old place (Ventura). And yeah, I know it's a Beta. The rest is pretty stable so far.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Same. It's annoying, hinders the workflow. Save Dialog, and Emojis. I hope it will be addressed in the next Beta. On a sidenote, on the login screen, when I have to fill in the password to login, in most cases, the info panel of my monitor covers the login form. Maybe Apple changes their mind to put the login form back to the old place (Ventura). And yeah, I know it's a Beta. The rest is pretty stable so far.
it's not happening for everyone, so might be worth exploring common denominators (finder extensions, etc)

also, what do you mean the 'info panel'... the physical bottom of the screen? are you running an alternate resolution on your monitor? the login window should be just above the screen bottom...

clingfreeze

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
also, what do you mean the 'info panel'... the physical bottom of the screen? are you running an alternate resolution on your monitor? the login window should be just above the screen bottom...
This is what I mean by info panel of the Samsung Monitor which appears automatically when I start up the Mac. It's covering the login on Sonoma. That didn't happen with Ventura, the login on Ventura is about in the middle of the screen.

Attachments

• infopanel.jpg
    infopanel.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 62

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
This is what I mean by info panel of the Samsung Monitor which appears automatically when I start up the Mac. It's covering the login on Sonoma. That didn't happen with Ventura, the login on Ventura is about in the middle of the screen.
that is frustrating. am guessing there's no way to disable that info screen? how long does it stay onscreen?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Only about 5-8 secs. It's a minor annoyance, but it still makes you ask "why" 😄
report it in the feedback app. while i like the aesthetic of the bottom-of-the screen login, am wondering how many other 3rd-party monitors display a window there (or, for that matter, in the center? or???)

almost feels like a deliberate attempt to mess with samsung.... 🤣😉

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.