Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zombivenator

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2014
Had the watch for just over 2 weeks and yesterday I noticed a hairline scratch directly in the middle of the screen. I've just been wearing it with normal use, no trauma (dropping, scraping up against something, etc) so I don't know what could have caused this.

I was just on a chat with Apple customer support who suggested that I take it in to an Apple Store to get it evaluated, but said it was out of warranty cosmetic damage. I get that, but this thing is supposed to have a highly scratch resistant screen, so to have a scratch after normal use is highly disappointing.

Is it worth my time to take it in or are they just going to tell me to fork over $250 for out of warranty service (which I'm not going to do).

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
You could buy Apple Care+ and won't be paying that much in case you wanna have it swapped. Also, a watch will get scratches over time and you won't recognize every time you bump it into something.

zombivenator

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2014
You could buy Apple Care+ and won't be paying that much in case you wanna have it swapped. Also, a watch will get scratches over time and you won't recognize every time you bump it into something.

I thought you couldn't buy Apple Care + after the initial purchase date?

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
I am from Europe and we have different pricing but that sounds about right from what I've been reading here.

jmh286

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2015
I see. So, if I'm reading this right, it's $49.99 for the Apple Care + and then you have to pay $69 to swap it out?
The way I understand it, the $69 is your service fee, and they will determine whether they can repair it, or need to swap it out.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
Well, the gorilla glass on iPhones is also highly scratch resistant and I rarely ever see one over 3 months old that doesn't have at least one scratch. And watches lead a much more precarious life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.