Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmnn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2022
Hi! I've just bought MacBook Pro M1. It's my first notebook. Is it normal that the screen of MacBook has slightly shading at the edges?

Attachments

• IMG_4581.jpg
    IMG_4581.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 1,809
  • IMG_4583.jpg
    IMG_4583.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 1,024

tRYSIS3

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2011
I don't have one yet myself but all the pictures I have seen look just like that, it's pretty normal

Reactions: rmnn

TofSanity

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2010
Hi! I've just bought MacBook Pro M1. It's my first notebook. Is it normal that the screen of MacBook has slightly shading at the edges?
normal. I have had one 14" and two 16" M1 Pros with this around the edges of all three screens. Also, I have it on my 12.9" M1 iPad Pro. I read that it's due to the mini led not being able to be extend to the edge. regardless it's normal

Reactions: rmnn

misiektoja

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2018
It is normal, however different units have it more or less visible. In my first 14 MBP it was unacceptable, I could not focus due to that and returned it.

shm

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
Poland
How is that normal? On a laptop with that pricetag? I checked a few macbooks at a local premium reseller and all but one basically had a blue edge around the screen...
IMG_5073.JPG

Last edited:

misiektoja

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2018
How is that normal? On a laptop with that pricetag? I checked a few macbooks at a local premium reseller and all but one basically had a blue edge around the screen...
Well, maybe "normal" is not the best word. It is widespread issue, affecting both new MBPs and iPads Pro. But as said different units have it less or more visible, my 4th unit has it almost unnoticeable (small dark edges, but not going into blue, purple or anything like that, almost not visible). So yes, there are good units out there, but you need to be patient ;-)

sb in ak

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2014
Homer, Alaska
Looks normal to me, minus that light leaking; I'm pretty sure mine is the same. So far edge to edge uniformity looks better on my 2021 MBP than my 2013. If that is indeed a light leak, I think I'd send it back.

shm

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
Poland
nope, this should not be considered normal at this price point.
It does seem to be a bit of a lottery at this point. A friend got a near perfect sample. Also - Apple does not seem to indicate in the marketing materials than one should expect a blue shade around the edges of the screen.

mlyue

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2023
I have this issue either, and if I want to replace the screen for free at the outlet store during the warranty period, because of this issue, I wonder if the Genius Bar will give me a replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.