Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paul Dorsey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2015
I am new to my ios 5c. I have a disability which causes my fingers to sometime shake and so I'd like for the microphone key to be larger. Where can I find such an alternate layout? Also, are there other accessibility apps which I can take advantage of?
Thanks, Paul

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Thoughts:
  • The key will be significantly larger in landscape mode (rotated), although this isn't an option for all apps.
  • If you have any additional keyboards installed in Settings > General > Keyboards, you should disable them, as they will add a "globe" icon to your keyboard which will shrink the microphone icon. I believe the Emoji keyboard may be enabled by default.
  • You can enable Zoom in Settings > General > Accessibility. This will allow you to either zoom in the entire screen, or have a virtual "magnifying glass" that you can drag around the screen and it will zoom anything under it.
  • You might also consider the iPhone 6 or iPhone 6+. Both of these phones can run the entire user interface in "Zoomed" mode in which it renders everything at the same screen size as the iPhone 5, then zooms it in to fit the larger screens. It will make all the touch targets significantly larger.

Keep in mind you can also trigger voice control (Siri) just by holding down the Home button on the phone. This won't work for inputting text by voice everywhere (third-party apps, for instance), but you can send text messages, emails, create calendar appointments, and a lot more, all without fumbling about for a tiny icon.

dorpaul

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2017
Thoughts:
  • The key will be significantly larger in landscape mode (rotated), although this isn't an option for all apps.
  • If you have any additional keyboards installed in Settings > General > Keyboards, you should disable them, as they will add a "globe" icon to your keyboard which will shrink the microphone icon. I believe the Emoji keyboard may be enabled by default.
  • You can enable Zoom in Settings > General > Accessibility. This will allow you to either zoom in the entire screen, or have a virtual "magnifying glass" that you can drag around the screen and it will zoom anything under it.
  • You might also consider the iPhone 6 or iPhone 6+. Both of these phones can run the entire user interface in "Zoomed" mode in which it renders everything at the same screen size as the iPhone 5, then zooms it in to fit the larger screens. It will make all the touch targets significantly larger.

Keep in mind you can also trigger voice control (Siri) just by holding down the Home button on the phone. This won't work for inputting text by voice everywhere (third-party apps, for instance), but you can send text messages, emails, create calendar appointments, and a lot more, all without fumbling about for a tiny icon.
[doublepost=1497735005][/doublepost]Thank you Gordon 1234! Found 2 1/2 years later... why doesn't this forum immediately email you, instead?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.