Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tejaykay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Edinburgh
Dear All

I am eligible for the MS Home Use Program via work. My wife and I share a MacBook Pro, and both of our user profiles are classed as administrators.

If I install the MS Office for Mac 2016 suite for one of the users, will all users be able to share the applications? Is there a workaround for this if it is not possible. Microsoft make it sound like the applications are locked to one user, but I don't think that can be the case.

Thanks in advance.
Tim

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Dear All

I am eligible for the MS Home Use Program via work. My wife and I share a MacBook Pro, and both of our user profiles are classed as administrators.

If I install the MS Office for Mac 2016 suite for one of the users, will all users be able to share the applications? Is there a workaround for this if it is not possible. Microsoft make it sound like the applications are locked to one user, but I don't think that can be the case.

Thanks in advance.
Tim

Yep, install it on one profile and it'll work on the other.

Just be aware that it may not auto-pin to the dock on the other user account, so you'll have to navigate to the Applications folder and pin them that way.

tejaykay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Edinburgh
Yep, install it on one profile and it'll work on the other.

Just be aware that it may not auto-pin to the dock on the other user account, so you'll have to navigate to the Applications folder and pin them that way.

Great. Thanks for your help.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I don't know what is the case of this HUP, but as long as all software are activated under one user account used to purchase, then it will be fine. After that, you can use other accounts to login in, and access their own files without losing activation.

Regards.

Reactions: tejaykay
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.