Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weezin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
I have a Mac Studo M1 Max (which is my main computer) hooked up to an old 30" Apple Cinema Display that I love. I'm wondering if there is a way that I can share that monitor with my 5,1 Mac Pro (with RX580) for a reasonable cost. I don't need to share any other peripherals, just the monitor.

The Mac Studio is on Monterey (but will upgrade at some point), and the 5,1 is on High Sierra (probably will not upgrade) and Windows 10 via Bootcamp. I'd need it to work in both Mac OS and Windows.

Is there a software solution for this that supports High Sierra (or Mojave, if I get there eventually)? Or do I need some kind of a hardware switch that supports the types of connectors being used? If so, any reasonably priced recommendations?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Well. I know of no software to achieve this with good results at least. In theory you could screen share on Mac to the other. But if you want the same quality as a direct connection the hardware switch is called a kvm switch. For keyboard video mouse switch. You may be able to find one that’s only intended for video. But that’s what to be searching for. :)

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I have my 2 displays connected to my Studio, and 1 is also connected to my cMP.
But my monitors have multiple inputs (unlike the Apple Display).

I did this so I get full resolution when screen sharing the cMP on the Studio (if no monitor is connected it is a low default rez).
I can also switch inputs on the monitor via the screen controls if I need direct access on the cMP.

BUT as mentioned by @casperes1996 you would need a kvm for an Apple display as it's only DVI.

Reactions: casperes1996

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Take care that the 30 inch Display is a Dual Link DVI display and a switch needs to support it.

I also prefer a kvm switch. My switch has an edid simulator so I can turn on the other Mac without care of the switch position. This is important as a simple switch would make the Mac detect no connected display.

Reactions: MarkC426

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
hooked up to an old 30" Apple Cinema Display that I love.

I similarly loved my Cinema Display. It was replaced by first an iMac Pro then a Studio Display. The improvement in video quality was amazing. Order of magnitude better displays. Only drawback was the fact that they were 27" rather than 30" displays. Did keep it around for some years reluctant to part with it but then had power supply problems.

weezin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
Thanks guys. If anybody has a recommendation for a KVM switch, I’m all ears.

Having said that, I do have another 30 inch cinema display that I can use with the Mac Pro, but I have nowhere to put it. Maybe I can rearrange some things and do it that way. Finding a KVM switch with the dual link support seems like it would be near impossible.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Thanks guys. If anybody has a recommendation for a KVM switch, I’m all ears.

Having said that, I do have another 30 inch cinema display that I can use with the Mac Pro, but I have nowhere to put it. Maybe I can rearrange some things and do it that way. Finding a KVM switch with the dual link support seems like it would be near impossible.
If you're OK with the screen sharing approach even though it has latency and quality costs, you can also get "dumb display adapters" - I.e. little flash-drive-like sticks that plug into the video output port to pretend to be a display of a given resolution even though it isn't to trick the device into creating output frames for it

Reactions: MarkC426

weezin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
If you're OK with the screen sharing approach even though it has latency and quality costs, you can also get "dumb display adapters" - I.e. little flash-drive-like sticks that plug into the video output port to pretend to be a display of a given resolution even though it isn't to trick the device into creating output frames for it
The use case here is for me to be able to play older FPS games on my 5,1, so I'm, not sure screen sharing is going to be the best way to do that unfortunately. I'm assuming the latency would be an issue, even if both are hardwired into the network.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
The use case here is for me to be able to play older FPS games on my 5,1, so I'm, not sure screen sharing is going to be the best way to do that unfortunately. I'm assuming the latency would be an issue, even if both are hardwired into the network.
It’s certainly a sub optimal solution

weezin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
If Studio basically owns all Mac work and Mac Pro is only for games, consider linking the later to a good TV for super-sized games.
I'd like that, but the problem is that I don't currently have room for a second monitor, let alone a big TV. I'm trying to do this all in a small room that I use as my office, so sharing a screen (my 30" ACD is plenty big enough for me) is ideal. I'm not sure there are any good solutions out there for what I'm looking for, so I'm trying to think what I can re-arrange to get a 20" ACD in here, but it's not optimal.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I did do a quick search on Amazon.
It looks like you can get dual link dvi kvm's, but they are about £300-£400.

may be worth a better search....;)
It's if they can do 30" resolution is the question..

Reactions: weezin

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
This one supports 2560x1600 £245 Amazon
Read the Amazon reviews
See spec on Aten site

Reactions: weezin

mode11

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2015
London
Use a DP KVM, then connect its output to a DP > dual link DVI adapter?

Could also look into Parsec, or possibly Moonlight streaming (presumably you’re gaming under Windows rather than HS).

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I'd like that, but the problem is that I don't currently have room for a second monitor, let alone a big TV. I'm trying to do this all in a small room that I use as my office, so sharing a screen (my 30" ACD is plenty big enough for me) is ideal. I'm not sure there are any good solutions out there for what I'm looking for, so I'm trying to think what I can re-arrange to get a 20" ACD in here, but it's not optimal.
As the others suggested, a KVM switch is what you need.

Anyway, for lacking of space, my own solution is to use the AR glass virtual monitor. It's not perfect, the FOV is limited, but it's good enough for my normal usage. And it can give me up to 3 virtual monitors inside the AR glass.
3x Virtual AR sceens.png

And the setup cost is low, just around ~$350. Of course, the power usage is very low as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.