Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chanerz

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2010
27AD8BC1-2E19-4050-9E01-3E7454B335C6.jpeg

Reactions: ssledoux

JohnE121

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2021
Columbus Ohio
The Apple SS charcoal Milanese loop looks really sweet with the Starlight. When it is in the sun, it sparkles too.

Attachments

• tempImagez8ywbL.png
    tempImagez8ywbL.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 583
  • tempImagei1Y7fg.png
    tempImagei1Y7fg.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 451

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I’m bumping this because today is my birthday, and I‘m gonna order myself a present. ;-p

Wanting to order another band, and just hoping to see more of what yall like with Starlight.

Torquemada

macrumors member
May 8, 2011
United Kingdom
I have a slightly related question, and this thread seems like it might be the best place to ask it.

I am planning on getting a new S7 to replace my old S3, and I'm wondering to get the Starlight colour. I originally thought it was silver, but it seems it's more of a champagne colour.

I always want to treat myself to a better band, and the Apple ones are way too expensive.

Could someone who has a Starlight watch give me their opinion of whether they think the following band will match:

https://thewatchstrap.co/product/fury-apple-watch-strap-silver-rose-gold/

I think the combination of silver and rose gold could match quite well, but I'm not too sure, so just looking for opinions.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I have a slightly related question, and this thread seems like it might be the best place to ask it.

I am planning on getting a new S7 to replace my old S3, and I'm wondering to get the Starlight colour. I originally thought it was silver, but it seems it's more of a champagne colour.

I always want to treat myself to a better band, and the Apple ones are way too expensive.

Could someone who has a Starlight watch give me their opinion of whether they think the following band will match:

https://thewatchstrap.co/product/fury-apple-watch-strap-silver-rose-gold/

I think the combination of silver and rose gold could match quite well, but I'm not too sure, so just looking for opinions.

It won’t be an exact match, since the starlight definitely does have a little hint of gold/champagne in it. It’s possibly it would still look just fine though. Depending on the light the starlight can look silver.

Torquemada

macrumors member
May 8, 2011
United Kingdom
It won’t be an exact match, since the starlight definitely does have a little hint of gold/champagne in it. It’s possibly it would still look just fine though. Depending on the light the starlight can look silver.
Yes, true. This is why I am having a hard time trying to decide on the right band. I suppose even the official colours are only gold and silver, too, so still have same problem

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Yes, true. This is why I am having a hard time trying to decide on the right band. I suppose even the official colours are only gold and silver, too, so still have same problem
I’ve been super happy with the solo loop, braided loop, and also the leather link. None have any visible hardware, so you don’t have to worry about it matching. Maybe look for third party bands in those styles?

Torquemada

macrumors member
May 8, 2011
United Kingdom
I’ve been super happy with the solo loop, braided loop, and also the leather link. None have any visible hardware, so you don’t have to worry about it matching. Maybe look for third party bands in those styles?

Speaking personally, I prefer something metal. I'm just not keen on the braided loops or the leather ones. Perhaps I might go for a cheap version of this first of all to see how it looks, before taking the plunge with a more expensive metal band.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
i just ordered the starlight solo loop for my silver series 5. hoping that combo works well.

Torquemada

macrumors member
May 8, 2011
United Kingdom
I've just ordered the Starlight with a midnight sport band. Maybe they don't quite match, but I think it will look ok. Will post some pics when it arrives, and I'll then look into some more metal bands to go with it.

Reactions: ssledoux

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Dang I am not liking that these bands are tearing. That stinks. I love mine, but now I’m worried about investing in very many of them.

Don‘t worry. First of all these reports are still rare. Also, this are probably people that use exactly one strap all day, every day. With a collection/rotation, it will be even rarer. And men usually have a different (read: larger) hand:wrist ratio, stretching the solos more when putting them on/off.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
First of all these reports are still rare. Also, this are probably people that use exactly one strap all day, every day. With a collection/rotation, it will be even rarer. And men usually have a different (read: larger) hand:wrist ratio, stretching the solos more when putting them on/off.

I’m sure they’re rare, but it’s still a bit disappointing. I do love mine, although I honestly doubt I’ll wear them much in the summer, so they’ll get a nice break.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
I’m sure they’re rare, but it’s still a bit disappointing.

Take the poster before you. 14 months = approx. 420 days x (at least) 2 stretches/day = at least 840 stretches. And still the tearing is happening rarely. How many years would it take for you to wear one of your bands nearly that often?

Honestly, to me, the longevity of the silicone Solo Loops is actually astonishing rather than disappointing. When I first got one, it seemed so thin and flimsy.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
Don‘t worry. First of all these reports are still rare. Also, this are probably people that use exactly one strap all day, every day. With a collection/rotation, it will be even rarer. And men usually have a different (read: larger) hand:wrist ratio, stretching the solos more when putting them on/off.
i wore a more breathable band in the summer, like a nike-style or sport loop. but since its gotten colder, i've been afraid of those bands getting caught on long sleeves so i switched back to the solo loop.

it is a small tear, but any tear is enough for me to doubt the integrity of the band. i'm actually wearing a 3rd party solo loop right now that i got from amazon for $8, but i will probably return it once the official apple one comes in.

this is the first apple band i've ever had an issue with, going back to the original AW, but nothing lasts forever, especially those made out of stretchy silicon.

i did call up apple on monday to see if my applecare+ would cover the band, or just to get a friendly rep who'd be willing to replace it...but no dice this far out from purchase.

Reactions: the future

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Take the poster before you. 14 months = approx. 420 days x (at least) 2 stretches/day = at least 840 stretches. And still the tearing is happening rarely. How many years would it take for you to wear one of your bands nearly that often?

Honestly, to me, the longevity of the silicone Solo Loops is actually astonishing rather than disappointing. When I first got one, it seemed so thin and flimsy.
My solo loop broke in less than a year of use. Granted, I wore it every day -- I almost never swap bands -- and I take my watch on and off multiple times a day, each time I wash my hands or do the dishes. Plus, my hands are large in comparison to my wrist, so I really have to stretch the loop to get it over my hand. I'm pretty sure I gave it way over a 1000 stretches before it broke, lol.

I recently bought a $10 knock-off solo loop from Amazon, and I'm pretty happy with it. It's noticeably more flimsy than the genuine band, but that actually makes it easier to take on and off. The feel is not quite as nice as Apple's, but close enough that I don't mind. And when it breaks or gets too loose, I'll just buy another one, it's only $10.

Reactions: the future

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
My solo loop broke in less than a year of use. Granted, I wore it every day -- I almost never swap bands -- and I take my watch on and off multiple times a day, each time I wash my hands or do the dishes. Plus, my hands are large in comparison to my wrist, so I really have to stretch the loop to get it over my hand. I'm pretty sure I gave it way over a 1000 stretches before it broke, lol.

I recently bought a $10 knock-off solo loop from Amazon, and I'm pretty happy with it. It's noticeably more flimsy than the genuine band, but that actually makes it easier to take on and off. The feel is not quite as nice as Apple's, but close enough that I don't mind. And when it breaks or gets too loose, I'll just buy another one, it's only $10.
what brand is the one from amazon? i just got a "FnKer" (terrible name)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
what brand is the one from amazon? i just got a "FnKer" (terrible name)

Lab34

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2021
Hello,
I wanted to buy a black watch, but the aluminium one is midnight. So I went to the store and fall in love with the starlight, with the starlight band ! (the same one as ericg301 above).
And yesterday, I've put a sport style bought on aliex. Not bad at all.

Capture d’écran 2022-01-13 095416.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.