Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pja2536

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
Batemans Bay, Australia
Hi! I have a really annoying problem with my iPadAir 3 running iOS 13.6.

The scenario:

1. I find a website based article I wish to copy and save as a text/Markdown document.
  2. I use the "Show Reader View" option in Safari to display just the article I need.
  3. I select the first word of the article and then drag down the article to select all the text (iOS really needs a "Select All" feature).
  4. When I lift my finger from selecting the whole document, iOS displays a "Copy | Look Up | Share" dialog.
  5. The "Copy" option works fine—no problems.
  6. The "Share" option turns the blue background of the selected text to a beige/grey colour and locks up the web page.
  7. Instead of selecting "Share" at the end of the document, I scroll to the TOP of the document and touch the "beginning of selected text" marker to get the "Copy | Look Up | Share" dialog—the "Share" option works just fine. The problem with this approach is that most times when I touch the "beginning of selected text" marker I loose the text selection and have to reselect the whole body of text again.
This problem exists on my iPadAir 3 BUT NOT on my iPhone 11; on the iPhone the "Share" option works correctly anywhere on the page.

I have tried to "Share" selected text from a long email (inside the Apple Mail app) and get the same problem.

My thoughts:
On the iPadAir 3, iOS does not seem to be able to display the "Share" dialog correctly at the end of a text selection (and thus at the bottom of the iPad's screen). At the top of the text selection (and thus at the top of the iPad's screen) it seems to work correctly.

I should add, I didn't have this problem with earlier versions of iOS 13.

As I said, it's a difficult problem and because of the inability of the Apple Support representative to think "outside his problem resolution script, Apple will NEVER know about this issue.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Peter

Attachments

• Share 02.jpg
    Share 02.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 144
  • Share 01.PNG
    Share 01.PNG
    967.1 KB · Views: 117

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Using the steps exactly as you describe them (and your post as the example text) on my iPad Pro 12.9 (running 13.6), I was able to share the selected text to Save to Files correctly as a text file. I didn't have to return to the top of the selected text to tap on the marker to get the Copy/Look Up/Share option; it was available after selecting the text regardless of where I stopped.

1595936236092.png

In fact, if I tap off Reader View and then go back in, the same text block is still selected and the Copy/Look Up/Share options reappear.

Although for this test I selected the text manually, I have the Magic Keyboard that allows use of cmd-A to select all and that worked in the same way.

pja2536

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
Batemans Bay, Australia
Marmara,

I've had the same experience as you on my iPhone 11. It's not a problem on my wife's iPadPro.

I also think this was not a problem before iOS 13.6.

I think I said in my original post that it seems to be specific to the iPadAir 3 and iOS 13.6.

I hope it will be fixed in iOS 14. But if my experience with Apple Support is anything to go by; Apple will not be aware of the issue.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,
Peter

pja2536

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
Batemans Bay, Australia
Namara,

Thanks again, I've already done that. The "bug report" form does not provide enough space for me to fully describe the problem.

I've said they could contact me for more details but I'm not holding my breath.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.