Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

discofuel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
I just bought a new Macbook Pro with a 2TB internal SSD and I created two user accounts, one for music production (to keep things separated and focused) and one for everything else.

I need to be able to access my data from both accounts so I assumed using the "Shared" folder would be the solution. However, when adding files to the Shared folder, the default permissions of new files added are Read/Write to the current user only. So to access them from the other account, I would have to change the permissions manually each time.

I'm going from a Mac Pro, where I would keep all my data on an external hard drive and then be able to access it easily from different user accounts.

I noticed a few people sharing terminal commands to help with the permissions but nothing seemed to be a complete solution.

Wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

One option would be to partition the internal drive and create a data drive and set the disk to "Ignore owenership on this Volume partition" but I'd prefer not to partition unless this is only option.

Any help appreciated!

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
You might be able to accomplish this using a disk image with your shared files on it.

You could find out by making a new disk image, putting a few test files on it, then do Get Info on the disk image's icon on the Desktop. The checkbox for "Ignore ownership" should be checked. If it's not, then check it.

To truly share a disk image, you may also need to set the permissions of the disk-image file itself to allow read-write by everyone.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I just bought a new Macbook Pro with a 2TB internal SSD and I created two user accounts, one for music production (to keep things separated and focused) and one for everything else."

This really doesn't make sense (at least to me).

Your user account has nothing to do with the tasks you are working on (music production v. personal).
Rather, it has to do with YOU -- yourself, your person.

Perhaps you should rethink:
If you want to keep your music production files "separate" from your personal files, you could partition your drive, and keep all your music files on the "music" partition.

NOTE: you will still want to leave your music production APPLICATIONS in the applications folder. Just your project files, etc., on the music partition.

Or... like you did on the Mac Pro, keep the music on its own DRIVE -- which in this case will have to be an external drive (USB3, etc.).

The way you have things set up now -- with TWO accounts -- is only going to lead to permissions and access problems as you go along...

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
You will probably need to stick both users into the same Unix group, make sure the shared folder has that group, and then change the umask of the two users to 0002 or something similar, see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201684, not sure whether you'll need to also set the sticky bit on the shared folder.
So why are you "answering" here?

Reactions: NoBoMac

discofuel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
You might be able to accomplish this using a disk image with your shared files on it.
Thanks for the idea. I will look into this although thinking partitioning could be simpler.

Your user account has nothing to do with the tasks you are working on (music production v. personal).
Rather, it has to do with YOU -- yourself, your person.

Perhaps you should rethink:
If you want to keep your music production files "separate" from your personal files, you could partition your drive, and keep all your music files on the "music" partition.

NOTE: you will still want to leave your music production APPLICATIONS in the applications folder. Just your project files, etc., on the music partition.

Or... like you did on the Mac Pro, keep the music on its own DRIVE -- which in this case will have to be an external drive (USB3, etc.).

The way you have things set up now -- with TWO accounts -- is only going to lead to permissions and access problems as you go along...
Actually, it's quite the opposite of this. I want to be be able to access all of my files from both user accounts.

The point of separate user accounts is to emulate a dedicated music machine that is free of distractions. It isn't logged into email and internet accounts, it doesn't have Messages popping up every time I receive a iMessage, it doesn't have calendar notifications, or my work files on the desktop. It has its own dock with only music applications. So I am recreating this experience.

You will probably need to stick both users into the same Unix group, make sure the shared folder has that group, and then change the umask of the two users to 0002 or something similar, see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201684, not sure whether you'll need to also set the sticky bit on the shared folder.
Thanks for the info. This looks really helpful, I'll take a look into this.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Thanks for the idea. I will look into this although thinking partitioning could be simpler.
It's usually easier to change or delete disk images than to change or delete partitions.

It's also easy to duplicate a disk image and modify the copy, if you want to experiment on its contents.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
This.

ACLs might also work/help, specifically, the inherited attributes. Have not messed with that so can't be sure (might run into problems with file created in a folder the copied/moved to the shared folder [might keep permissions at create]).

Reactions: Basic75

discofuel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
Thanks for everyone's help.

Just found out about "Volumes" on APFS which solves my main problem with partitioning.

So now I can simply create a "Data" volume and set "Ignore ownership on this volume" and access it from either user account.

I also actually decided to use separate Mac OS installations rather than user accounts, so now I have a Music installation and a non-music installation.

Both can access the Data drive without permissions issues!

Reactions: Brian33

cGluZWFwcGxl

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2022
I'm considering a similar approach. Did have to do anything to isolate the contents of your two OSes? Did you find any advantages for using separate partitions or APFS volumes? Thanks!

discofuel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
I'm considering a similar approach. Did have to do anything to isolate the contents of your two OSes? Did you find any advantages for using separate partitions or APFS volumes? Thanks!
I'm very happy with this approach.

Now my music OS is clean and minimal. On my other OS, I install software on the command line, etc and now there's no problem with it interfering.

Also, Dropbox doesn't play nicely with separate user accounts so now this isn't a problem either. When I first set up my mac with two user accounts it was a mess with permission errors.

My issue with partitions was that you have to decide on the size of the partition and resizing or removing partitions later is difficult and often you'd have wasted free space on one partition or not enough on another. With APFS volumes, the disk space is automatically allocated between the volumes so there's no need to worry about size decisions. Plus, it's very easy to add or remove volumes.

I didn't really have to do anything to isolate the contents of the two OS's. The only thing that I am considering doing is using a terminal command to disable mounting the non-active OS volume so that Spotlight doesn't search it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.