Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wwchris

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Alrighty, looking for what seems like it should be a simple solution, but not sure one exists.
In photos on my mac, I would like to share my Favorites Album with my Mother so she can automatically get the newest photos on her AppleTV screensaver.

My Favorites automatically appear on my AppleTV because I am logged in with my iCloud account (which is great).

I can make a new shared iCloud Album (let's call it "Shared Favorites") and drag my Favorites in there and share that with her, but then I have to maintain a separate album for her and every time I add a new favorite I then have to select the photo and also add it to the shared library. You can't share Smart Albums either or that would solved the problem.

Is there a way to share your Favorites or keep those two albums (Favorites and "Shared Favorites") in sync automatically?

Last edited:

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Alrighty, looking for what seems like it should be a simple solution, but not sure one exists.
In photos on my mac, I would like to share my Favorites Album with my Mother so she can automatically get the newest photos on her AppleTV screensaver.

My Favorites automatically appear on my AppleTV because I am logged in with my iCloud account (which is great).

I can make a new shared iCloud Album Lat's all it "Shared Favorites" and drag my Favorites in there and share that with her, but then I have to maintain a separate album for her and every time I add a new favorite I then have to select the photo and also add it to the shared library. You can't share Smart Albums either or that would solved the problem.

Is there a way to share your Favorites or keep those two albums (Favorites and "Shared Favorites" in sync automatically?

Do you and your mother have separate accounts? Or do you share a Family Plan? If separate maybe the Family Plan would work better?

The Family Plan will let each family member have their own separate iCloud Photo Library but you can share a Family album, which allows you both to upload and store allows store shared photos.

My wife and I a shared album we use for vacation/trip photos and such.

wwchris

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2009
Atlanta, GA
We do have separate accounts and she is on my Family account. Not sure where the Family Album is.
Having said that, I would still have to move the photos into the shared Family account so unless I missing something it seems very similar to just maintaining any other iCloud shared album (which is what I am hoping to avoid). Is there something different about the Family Album?

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
We do have separate accounts and she is on my Family account. Not sure where the Family Album is.
Having said that, I would still have to move the photos into the shared Family account so unless I missing something it seems very similar to just maintaining any other iCloud shared album (which is what I am hoping to avoid). Is there something different about the Family Album?

Yeah, it would be if you want your Favorites to be different than the Favorites you share with your Mom

wwchris

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I'd be fine with them being the same. Are you saying instead of "favoriting" photos I should just put them into the Family Album and use that as my "Favorites"? I wouldn't want to do that.

It is easy for example to favorite and unfavorite pictures with the Favorites button. Finding pics to remove from a shared album is a pain. Also, you can't edit them in the shared album, you have to find the original and then re-add it to a shared album (and delete the old one) after you edited it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.