Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Hello All,

I have looked all over, tried so many things, but I cannot seem to shake this issue. I am hoping for any new suggestions. I have my HomeKit set up and I share access to my girlfriend. For me, everything works perfectly. For her, her Home app constantly shows as disconnected from the multiple hubs available. I have tried...

Signing in and out of iCloud on everything
Making all hubs available, making only 1 hub available
Re-adding her to my HomeKit
Make sure she has remote access and is sharing her location
Resetting HomeKit and all apps
Probably more that I am forgetting.

It works for a bit, then stops. I have a suspicion that it has to do with my Hue Hub/Lights as only access for those stop when off the home network, but then why would the Hub be disconnecting? I can't make sense of any of it anymore and it's been driving my nuts for months.

Any ideas or suggestions? I am all ears.

pittpanthersfan

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2009
I’m in the exact same boat.

My wife had been a shared user for over a year with no issues at all.

We replaced our Apple TV 4 with Apple TV 4K and I added her as a Family member, and now she can’t access anything HomeKit unless she’s on our WiFi network. Everything works fine for me no matter where I am.

We’ve signed out of iCloud on everything, restored the Apple TV to factory settings, and rebuilt the HomeKit home from scratch. All settings appear to be properly configured. Nothing seems to work.

We don’t have Philips Hue.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I’m in the exact same boat.

My wife had been a shared user for over a year with no issues at all.

We replaced our Apple TV 4 with Apple TV 4K and I added her as a Family member, and now she can’t access anything HomeKit unless she’s on our WiFi network. Everything works fine for me no matter where I am.

We’ve signed out of iCloud on everything, restored the Apple TV to factory settings, and rebuilt the HomeKit home from scratch. All settings appear to be properly configured. Nothing seems to work.

We don’t have Philips Hue.

I almost snapped at an Apple rep last night as he keeps asking me to do the exact same thing over and over and over, when I have already tried it 50 times. I explained that I guess HomeKit just doesn't work with family sharing, which sucks, and he said the engineers are working to fix your issue. It just doesn't make sense to me why it doesn't work.

pittpanthersfan

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2009
Is your hub an Apple TV 4K? Things seem to work when I use my iPad as the hub, but leaving my iPad at home all the time isn’t an option.

My theory is that it’s a tvOS or Apple TV 4K issue.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Is your hub an Apple TV 4K? Things seem to work when I use my iPad as the hub, but leaving my iPad at home all the time isn’t an option.

My theory is that it’s a tvOS or Apple TV 4K issue.

I want it to be the 4K, but I have tried it with that, an ATV4, and an iPad Pro and it doesn’t work. With the iPad it was working for a little and then stopped.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Have you tried deleting her from the shared list and re adding her? Also out of curiosity what router are you using?

Its a PITA but you good delete your Home and start over to see if that fixes it. I cringe at the thought (25+ devices).

DNichter

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Have you tried deleting her from the shared list and re adding her? Also out of curiosity what router are you using?

Its a PITA but you good delete your Home and start over to see if that fixes it. I cringe at the thought (25+ devices).

I have, yea. That’s the one thing I haven’t tried throughnit all. Probably my last resort.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Updated to 11.4 beta 2 and everything crapped out again. I know it's a beta, but I feel like there has to be an underlying issue causing this. My guess is that is has something to do with the Hue lights, but I can't figure out what. If anyone knows of a potential fix, please let me know.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Or...ekit-iDevices-and/td-p/1546255/highlight/true

I'm not sure if this is relevant but there seems to be a lot of people reporting all sorts of issues currently with HomeKit and that particular Orbi (not familiar with the Orbi so I don't know if there are versions or anything).

Wow, thank you. I thought maybe the router could have something to do with it, but I don't know enough to go changing things. I will take a look at the forum there. I got it working (for now) somehow someway so I am going to hold off on any changes, but I am sure it will fail again sooner than later.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Or...ekit-iDevices-and/td-p/1546255/highlight/true

I'm not sure if this is relevant but there seems to be a lot of people reporting all sorts of issues currently with HomeKit and that particular Orbi (not familiar with the Orbi so I don't know if there are versions or anything).

I don’t have a computer with an Ethernet port so I can’t revert my firmware yet, but I hooked up my AirPort Extreme to see if that had the same issues and it does. I can sometimes get her phone to connect to my iPad as a hub, but never the Apple TV.

alexmack

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2009
Calgary, Canada
I don’t have a computer with an Ethernet port so I can’t revert my firmware yet, but I hooked up my AirPort Extreme to see if that had the same issues and it does. I can sometimes get her phone to connect to my iPad as a hub, but never the Apple TV.
Did you get this issue solved?

I too have had this issue with sharing for some time now. Just got a HomePod today as a new Hub to try to resolve the issue…

DNichter

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Did you get this issue solved?

I too have had this issue with sharing for some time now. Just got a HomePod today as a new Hub to try to resolve the issue…

Sort of. I think the issue was due to problems with my Netgear Orbi router. I have had issues across multiple firmware's, but the one I am on now seems to be relatively stable (although it didn't connect for her last night). It's on and off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.